Acceptance Insurance was founded in 1969 and specializes in insuring high-risk drivers. Acceptance Insurance does business under several other names including First Acceptance, Yale Insurance, and Insurance Plus. The company has a marginal financial strength rating which brings into question whether the company will always be able to satisfy its claims. However, it does offer a number of other insurance products in addition to auto insurance such as property insurance, commercial insurance, life insurance, travel insurance, and pet insurance. Acceptance Insurance also has a number of complaints for claims handling according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Thus, Acceptance is only a good choice for insurance for high-risk and non-standard drivers.
- You can obtain SR-22 insurance through Acceptance Insurance.
- Acceptance offers Mexican Tourist Auto Insurance for those traveling to Mexico. They have claims and customer services branches to handle claims arising in Mexico in that country and will continue to keep you abreast of the claim when you return to the United States.
- Acceptance offers a variety of insurance products other than auto insurance. The company offers motorcycles insurance, roadside assistance, renters insurance, homeowners insurance, commercial insurance, pet insurance and life insurance. Although some categories such as life insurance have limited selections, Acceptance offers a number of options to choose from in their commercial insurance category.
- Acceptance offers TicketProof to reimburse you for minor tickets.
- Acceptance offers some good add on coverage options for high-risk drivers which only add a few more dollars to your premium.
- Acceptance’s financial strength rating is very low. According to A.M. Best, Acceptance’s financial strength rating is C++ which is marginal. This means that there is a possibility that Acceptance Insurance is not financially sound enough to pay off all of its claims.
- There are no auto insurance discounts mentioned on Acceptance’s website.
- According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Acceptance Insurance receives almost five times the number of complaints of other auto insurance companies of the same size. The main complaint are related to the slow claims process.
Acceptance Insurance provides auto insurance to people with bad credit, high-risk drivers, seniors, teenagers, people in need of SR-22 certification and non-owner SR-22 certification, and non-standard drivers. The company also provides a wide range of liability coverage options. Its auto insurance is best suited for people who fall into the high-risk category or who are having trouble getting insurance elsewhere.
Acceptance Insurance only provides insurance coverage in 17 states. These states include Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. Throughout these states, the company has over 350 physical locations. In addition to automobile insurance, Acceptance also offers renters insurance, homeowners insurance, commercial insurance, pet insurance, life insurance and travel insurance. Although the company does offer a nice selection of insurance products, especially in the commercial insurance category, its financial strength should warn business owners to opt out of purchasing insurance through acceptance. Thus, Acceptance is only suitable for non-standard and high-risk drivers that cannot obtain auto insurance at a more solid insurance company.
The Value Equation ($$$)
The cost of car insurance is generally one of the primary factors for consumers when they are shopping for car insurance. However, this may not be the case with high-risk drivers who have trouble obtaining car insurance through the more desirable automobile insurance companies. Consumers who do not fall into the non-standard driver or high-risk category may want to consider getting car insurance elsewhere. For good drivers that do not fall into these categories, Acceptance Insurance is known to charge as much as 38% higher than average rates.
Still, Acceptance insurance bases their car insurance rates on the traditional factors such as your age, location, driving history, coverage options and type of vehicle. Under driving history, the reason that you are seeking high-risk or non-standard insurance can have a significant impact on your rates; however, this is true with any auto insurance company.
To get a quote from Acceptance Insurance, you can go to the company’s website and click on ‘Get a Quote.’ Additionally, you can call 1-877-405-7102. Furthermore, you can use the ‘Find A Location’ tool to find the closest physical location.
Here is a quick glimpse of how Acceptance’s premiums compare to another popular high- risk auto insurer, The General, as well as two large national car insurance providers for 12-month policies.
|18-year-old (clean record)||$2,409||$2,394||$1,711.6||$1,934|
|30-year-old (clean record)||$964||$669||$590||$572|
|30-year-old (with DUI and require SR-22)||$1,375||$880||$2,262||$766|
Acceptance Insurance does not mention any auto insurance discounts on its website. However, the company may take out deductions before setting the quote amount.
A key factor that needs to be taken into account with Acceptance Insurance is their marginal financial strength rating which begs the question of how long the company will be able to pay its claims. An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating and ability to pay its claims are just as important as price when shopping for quality automobile insurance.
How easy is it to file a claim with Acceptance?
- You can start filing a claim on the company’s website and you will be contacted by the end of the next business day to complete the claim set up process. Visit the website at: https://www.acceptanceinsurance.com/report-a-claim/
- You can also file a claim by calling 1-800-779-2103.
What is the average customer experience and satisfaction with Acceptance Insurance?
Although Acceptance Insurance is not measured by J.D. Power for its claims satisfaction, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners reports that Acceptance has five times the complaints of auto insurance companies of similar size due primarily to its claims handling. Thus, consumers are significantly dissatisfied with Acceptance’s claims handling process.
Acceptance Insurance offers several coverage options. The company’s coverage options include:
- Basic Liability Coverage – Acceptance offers both bodily injury and property damage expenses if you are in an accident in which you are at fault.
- Comprehensive and Collision – To keep your auto insurance premium lower, you have an opportunity to select a higher deductible on these two coverages.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist – This coverage protects you if you are hit by an uninsured motorist. It is available to Acceptance customers even in states where it is not required by law.
- TicketProof – Acceptance reimburses its customers who choose this optional coverage up to $650 a year for minor tickets and legal fees. This coverage is only an additional $15 a month.
- Hospital Indemnity – Acceptance pays up to $125 a day for your hospital expenses which result from a car accident for an additional $8 a month on your premium.
- Accidents Death Coverage – This coverage covers drivers on your car insurance policy and pays their beneficiary if the driver is killed in a car accident.
- Roadside Assistance – You can get roadside assistance through Acceptance.
- Medical Payments – This will pay your medical expenses if you are involved in an accident even if you are at fault.
- Rental Car Reimbursement – Acceptance will pay for your rental car if your car is being repaired due to an accident.
- Towing – This is for people who do not want to purchase the entire roadside assistance coverage and just covers towing.
Thus, Acceptance has a number of coverage options, some of which, such as TicketProof, are unique and only add a few more dollars to your premium.
Acceptance offers a Rx Discount Plan with your car insurance for an additional $3 a month. This coverage gets you 20% off prescription drugs. This is regardless of whether the medication is tied to a car accident injury.
In addition to auto insurance, Acceptance Insurance also offers property insurance. The company offers both homeowners insurance and renters insurance. The renters insurance can cover both liability and personal property, You can contact Acceptance to find out what policy options the company offers for homeowners insurance.
Acceptance Insurance also offers Commercial Insurance. The types of commercial insurance the company offers includes a Business Owner’s Policy, a Commercial Liability Umbrella, Commercial Vehicle Insurance, General Liability Insurance, Inland Marine, Professional Liability Insurance, Property Insurance, Surety Bonds, and Workers’ Compensation.
You can also purchase Life Insurance from Acceptance Insurance. The company offers Term Life Insurance. The company claims that this type of short-term life insurance offers a flexible and affordable solution.
Acceptance offers travel insurance as well. The type of travel insurance that the company offers is Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance. This insurance makes sure that you meet the legal liability requirements for Mexico. You can also purchase additional coverage options which include Increased Liability Limits, Medical Payments, Legal Assistance, Physical Damage, Total Theft, Partial Theft, Vandalism, Gap Coverage, U.S. Repairs, and Roadside Assistance. The coverage includes claims and customer service in Mexico.
Pet health insurance is also available from Acceptance Insurance to make taking your pet to the veterinarian more affordable. The company states that the price of the pet insurance depends on how much coverage you want, the area you live in, and the type of animal you have.
Acceptance Insurance provides a very professional fully functioning website. On the website you can explore their product offerings, get a quote, and start to file a claim. The good thing about Acceptance’s website is that it includes full descriptions of all of the insurance that it offers. Many auto insurance companies which specialize in insurance for high-risk drivers have websites that lack this feature.
The Bottom Line
- Acceptance’s financial strength rating of C++ should be strongly taken into account before purchasing insurance from this company. Furthermore, it is known to have a number of complaints for slow claims satisfaction of its auto insurance claims.
- Acceptance insures high-risk and non-standard drivers who may have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. For these drivers, Acceptance may be a decent choice. Acceptance offers some good add-on coverage options which only increase you premium by a few dollars a month.
- Furthermore, the company offers a variety of other insurance products in addition to car insurance such as property insurance, commercial insurance, pet insurance, and life insurance. However, there is still a question of whether the company will be willing and able to pay on all claims in these categories as well.
- Thus, Acceptance Insurance should only be considered for auto and other insurance by high-risk drivers, non-standard drivers, people with bad credit, and those who have trouble obtaining insurance elsewhere.