American Modern is the holding company for a number of property and casualty insurance companies which was founded in 1965, is headquartered in Batavia Township, Ohio, and has an annual revenue of $1.4+ billion. American Modern Collector Car Insurance is backed by Geico. It provides coverage for a wide variety of vehicles. The company offers flexible mileage options, the largest standard spare part coverage, and inflation guard. Rates are a little higher than collector car insurance companies such as Classic Collectors and Condon Skelly; however, the company’s rates are still in a reasonable range.
- American Modern is backed by Geico
- The company offers $2,000 standard spare parts coverage which is high compared to many other collector car insurance companies which typically offer between $500 and $1000.
- The company offers an unlimited miles plan
- American Modern offers a wide array of specialty insurance from boats and yachts to property and pet insurance in addition to collector cars and vehicles.
- Coverage is not available in all states.
- Rates are a little higher than those of several of its competitors
- Information regarding American Modern’s claims satisfaction rating is not readily available.
American Modern boasts that it has one of the most inclusive classic auto and collector car insurance policies in the industry. The type of cars the company insures includes muscle cars, classic cars, antiques, exotics, street rods, customs, kit cars, Cobra replicas, race cars, trucks, motorcycles, military vehicles, tractors, fire engines, restorations in progress. American Modern offers Agreed Value loss settlement, broad usage allowance, mileage plans including unlimited mileage, date and specific time of the loss, deductible options from $0 to $10,000, and flexible payment options.
What Makes American Modern Unique?
American Modern insures many vehicles that other collector car insurance companies do not. In fact, the company may have the broadest range of vehicles that it insures in the industry. The company insures classic and antique cars, modifieds, replicas, hot rods, kits, exotics, special editions, military vehicles, sport vehicles, antique tractors, and vintage motorcycles. Furthermore, the company does not have a minimum age limit for vehicles.
American Modern offers a number of other insurance options that most classic and collector car insurance companies do not. The company insures ATVs, UTVs, golf carts, snowmobiles, boats, personal watercrafts, and small yachts. The company’s motorcycle insurance program insures cruisers, touring dual purpose, dirt bikes, scooters, and trike conversions. You can also purchase commercial auto rental insurance through American Modern.
Moreover, the company offers specialty property insurance such as landlord insurance, insurance for vacant property, insurance for vacation homes, insurance for mobile homes and insurance for hard to insure homes do to location, value or prior claims. The company also offers pet coverage as well.
How expensive are the Rates of American Modern Collector Car Insurance?
One of the main factors that consumers, even those shopping for collector car insurance, consider when evaluating auto insurance companies is their rates. How rates are determined may differ slightly from that of traditional car insurance companies due to the fact that collector cars typically are not for regular use.
To get a quote from American Modern, simply go to their website and use the get a quote tool. You can also call the number listed if you would rather talk to an agent or representative when getting your quote.
Here is an example of American modern’s rates on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900.00 with the 3,000-mile plan:
- Agreed value $67,900
- For $1000 deductible on collision
- $1,000 deductible other than collision
- $250,000/ $500,000 Bodily Injury Liability
- $100,000 Property Damage Liability
- $50,000/ $100,000 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- $10,000 Medical Payments
- $2,000 Spare parts
American Modern quotes and estimated annual premium rate of $519 with a good driver discount and $648 without the good driver discount.
If you want to insure the same vehicle with $0 deductible collision and $0 deductible other than collision, American Modern quoted an estimated annual premium rate of $514 with the good driver discount and $642 without the good driver discount. It is interesting to note that with $0 deductible, the rates are just a few dollars more expensive.
For the same vehicle with an agreed value of $77,900 and the same insurance parameters, American Modern quoted an estimated annual premium rate if $564 with the good driver discount and $705 without the good driver discount.
American Modern vs. Condon Skelly: Who is more expensive?
Here is a look at another collector car insurance company, Condon Skelly’s estimated annual premium rate for the aforementioned vehicle with an agreed value of $67,000:
- For $1000 deductible on collision
- $1000 deductible on other than collision
- Including liability coverage
- $1000 electronic equipment coverage
- Roadside assistance
- $1000 Spare parts
- $500,000 Bodily Injury/ Property Damage limit
- $10,000 Medical Payments
- $3,500 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage
- $100,000 Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual premium of $335.08
American Modern’s rate for similar coverage is approximately $200 more annually than Condon Skelly’s rate. Thus, American Modern’s rates do not qualify as low; however, they are still very affordable.
Like many other auto insurance companies, American Modern offers discounts to help save their policyholders money. The company claims that you can save up to 45% with the discounts that it offers. Here are some of their discounts:
- Collections valued over $150,000 – a range of credits are offered based on the security features and fire resistance of the building where the collection is stored, and whether the collection is split among several locations.
- Car Club Membership – 10% credit for membership in an approved club
- Anti-theft devices – 5% alarm only; 5% active disabling device; 15% VIN etching, 20% electronic vehicle ID system
- Accident Prevention Course – 5 to 10% discount for taking an approved course.
This is not the full list of discounts that the company offers. Talk to an agent or representative to find out all of the discounts that the company offers for which you may qualify.
An auto insurance company’s claims handling process and claims satisfaction rating are very important to its policyholders. There is no need of having auto insurance if your insurance company is not going to be there when you need to file a claim. However, it is very difficult to find claims satisfaction ratings for collector car insurance companies.
How easy is it to file a claim with American Modern?
American Modern makes it easy to file a claim.
- You can file a claim online through the company’s website.
- You can also file a claim by calling 800-375-2075.
- You can file a claim by fax at 513-947-4040
- You can also mail in a claim to:
American Modern Insurance Group
Attn: Claims Processing
PO Box 5323
Cincinnati, OH 45201-5322
Be sure to include: Your policy number, Your contact information, A description of the damage/ loss, Specifics of when the incident took place, Whether bodily injuries occurred, Whether emergency services such as the police or ambulance were called, and Whether you believe you need to make temporary repairs.
American Modern offers a number of coverage options to protect you and your vehicle. These coverage options include:
- Agreed Value Loss Settlement – The agreed upon value is the amount you will receive in the event of a total loss.
- Mileage plans – 1,000, 3,000, 6,000, or unlimited miles plan.
- One liability charge – one flat rate liability charge regardless of the number of vehicles you have on your policy
- Spare Parts Coverage – spare parts coverage up to $2,000. You can increase the limit if desired.
- Towing – up to $75 per occurrence
- Trip Interruption – Up to $150 a day reimbursed transportation, lodging, and expenses if your vehicle becomes disabled more than 50 miles from home for at least 24 hours.
- Pet Coverage – Up to $750 medical expenses for pets injured in the vehicle.
- Deductible options – $0 – $10,000
- New Purchase Coverage – Covers newly purchase collector vehicles for up to $50,000 for 30 days. Collectors can increase the limit.
- Nationwide Roadside Assistance – guaranteed flatbed towing at $200, flat tire assistance, lockout assistance, fuel delivery, 1-800 emergency number.
- Full Safety Glass with no deductible
- Foreign Transport – extend coverage for vehicles when driven overseas and while in transport
Unlike many of the other insurance companies that offer classic and collector car insurance, American Modern offers a variety of other types of specialty insurance as well. American Modern insures:
- boats up to 64 feet in length and up to 70 mph.
- small yachts and cabin cruisers in select states.
- off-road vehicles such as ATV and UTV as well as golf carts and snowmobiles, vehicles which are generally specifically excluded from insurance with other collector car insurance companies.
- personal watercrafts or PWCs.
- commercial auto rental insurance for RVs, campers, trailers, and rental customers.
American Modern also offers:
- specialty property insurance
- landlord insurance for a single property as well as an entire portfolio.
- vacation homes insurance, from high-end to rustic getaways.
- vacant property insurance, such as vacant homes and rental properties. If you have a full-time home that other insurance companies will not insure due to its location, value or past claims, American Modern insures many of these homes as well.
- mobile homes insurance.
- pet insurance
American Modern probably offers the best website experience of all of the collector car companies. American Modern has a fully developed website that allows current and future policyholders to take care of their insurance needs through the website. On the website you can make a payment, file a claim, login to your account to view and manage your policy, and more. The website contains information on the company and the insurance products that it offers in a very organized fashion.
The Bottom Line
- The bottom line is that American Modern is backed by Geico, guaranteeing that the company has excellent financial strength.
- American Modern’s rates are higher than several of their low-cost competitors; however, the company’s rates are affordable.
- American Modern offers a wide array of specialty insurance to insure everything from snowmobiles and golf carts to vacation homes and vacant property. The company even offers pet insurance.
- The company offers a good selection of coverages, both included and optional, a number of discounts, and a great website experience. Furthermore, it ensures a variety of different cars, including vehicles being restored. Additionally, the company offers several different mileage plans that range from 1,000 miles to unlimited miles.