Amica Mutual is a Rhode Island-based automobile insurance company which has been in business for over 100 years and has 3,700 employees and 44 offices across the country. Amica Mutual ranks at the top of the auto insurance industry for claims satisfaction and is known for excellent customer service. It offers the traditional auto insurance coverage and discounts. In addition to automobile insurance, the company also offers home and life insurance as well as a few other options.
- Amica Mutual has a very high claims satisfaction rating according to the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Survey. The company beat out all other national insurance companies.
- Amica Mutual is a financially stable company with $5.1 billion in assets and 1 million policies in force. According to A.M. Best, the company has a financial strength rating of A++.
- The company is known for its excellent customer service.
- The company also offers a large selection of auto insurance discounts.
- Amica Mutual does not have a presence in every state.
- It is a smaller sized insurance company which may not have a significant local presence.
- Some customers experience rate increases especially after a claim.
Amica Mutual offers the traditional car insurance coverage options with few unique coverage options. It also offers the traditional discounts. Amica Mutual, however, stands out in the area of claims satisfaction with a more than five-star rating in this area. Furthermore, despite the company’s size, it has a superior financial rating according to A.M. Best which means it has the resources to handle its claims.
Unlike larger auto insurance companies which have direct agents selling their auto insurance policies, Amica Mutual, due to its limited number of employees, does not. Instead, to buy a policy a consumer must either call, email or visit a local office. Thus, Amica Mutual customers do not have their own insurance agent; however, this fact has not affected its high customer service rating. Therefore, Amica Mutual may be best for customers who desire a small insurance company with which they can have personal interaction.
The lack of a local presence in some areas and the lack of a personal insurance agent assigned to you may bother some consumers who are used to larger insurance companies.
In addition to automobile insurance, Amica Mutual also offers Property and Life insurance. It also offers some Small Business Insurance, Wedding and Event Insurance, and Retirement planning.
The Value Equation ($$)
The premium price tag is one of the factors that most people consider when trying to decide which insurance company to use. Amica Mutual Insurance bases your rates on many of the same criteria as other car insurance companies such as age, location, coverage choices, driving history, and type of vehicle. It is important not to simply look for the cheapest insurance premium since that may mean that your coverage is the minimum required by the state in which you live, and you may not be sufficiently covered in the event of an accident.
To get a quote from Amica Mutual Insurance, you can start an online quote, or you can contact the company by email through the website. During the online quote process, you will be asked a series of questions about yourself, your vehicle, and your driving history. The quote will give you an estimate of their basic, standard, and recommended coverage levels and you can also modify your coverage to get your own customized quote. However, to complete the purchase, you will need to call 800-242-6422.
Here is a quick glimpse of how Amica Mutual’s premiums compares to 2 other large national providers.
Amica Mutual Insurance offers rates that are competitive with its large national competitors like State Farm and GEICO, the largest and second largest auto insurance providers in the U.S. Amica Mutual’s rates are comparable with GEICO’s and cheaper than State Farm’s.
|GEICO||State Farm||Amica Mutual|
|Drivers in their 30s||$1,218||$2,379||$1,631|
|Drivers in their 40s||$1,189||$1,587||$1,151|
|Drivers with at-fault accident||$1,580||$1,524||$1,152|
|Drivers with DUI/DWI||$2,550||$3,854||$2,761|
|Drivers with speeding ticket||$1,395||$1,983||$1,390|
Like other insurance companies, Amica Mutual offers several auto insurance discounts to their customers. The discounts the company offers fall into these categories:
- Policy Discounts – the company offers a loyalty discount to policyholders who have been with the company for more than 2 years; multi-line discounts for policy bundling, a discount for staying claim free, multiple vehicle discounts, a discount for being a homeowner, and a legacy discount for people under 30 whose parents have a policy with Amica.
- Payments Discounts – a discount for paying in full, signing up for autopay, and for going paperless.
- Vehicle Discounts – you can get a discount if your vehicle has certain safety features such as certain anti-theft devices, electronic stability, passive restraints, forward collision warning, and adaptive headlights.
- Driver Discounts – discounts for completing an approved driving course, and discounts to young drivers who take driver training,
- Student Discounts – a good student discount and a student away discount are available.
As with other auto insurance companies, the discounts that you qualify for with Amica Auto Insurance are mostly determined when you obtain the policy; however, you can add discounts you become eligible for later to save on your rate. Discounts are determined by a variety of personal factors such as age and driving record. Furthermore, you must remain qualified for the discounts throughout the life of the policy to continue to receive most discounts.
Besides rates, consumers look for an auto insurance company that will have a smooth claims process. Amica Mutual’s claims process is so smooth and convenient that the company is rated among the highest in the industry.
How easy is it to file a claim with Amica Mutual?
- Log in to your account at Amica Mutual’s website and file a claim at: https://www.amica.com/
- Call 800-242-6422 to file a claim
- File a claim on their mobile app
What is the average customer experience and satisfaction with Amica Mutual?
Each year, J.D. Power surveys an estimated 10,000 consumers who have filed an auto insurance claim in the last six months for its U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. From these results, insurance providers are ranked on a 1000-point scale. Amica Mutual ranks at the top of the list with an 887/1000 which is above the national average of 861/1000. Furthermore, the insurance company received over a five-star rating. In fact, the only two companies who outperformed Amica Mutual in this area are Erie Insurance, a regional insurance company, and USAA which is open only to current and former members of the military. In comparison, State Farm, the largest insurance company in the US, scored an 864/1000. GEICO, the US’s second largest insurance company, scored an 857/1000.
|Medical Payment Coverage||✔||✔||✔|
|Rental Reimbursement||✔||✔ Also includes up to $500 in travel expense coverage||✔|
|Gap Insurance||✔||Only for State Farm Bank financed vehicles||X|
In addition to auto insurance, Amica offers property insurance that includes homeowners insurance, flood insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance and identity fraud insurance. The company’s homeowners coverage options are more extensive than most companies with its platinum option which includes dwelling replacement coverage, personal property replacement coverage, valuable items coverage, catastrophic coverages, theft coverage, and identity fraud expense coverage.
Furthermore, Amica insures motorcycles and their drivers and riders as well as boats.
Amica also offers life insurance coverage with term life and whole life coverage options.
Amica’s small business insurance coverages include general liability, professional liability, and business owner insurance.
The company also offers wedding and event coverage. The types of coverage you can take out include liability and property damage insurance, and event cancellation/ postponement insurance.
For your retirement, Amica offers Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, and annuities.
Moreover, Amica Mutual offers umbrella insurance for people who have assets they want to protect from claims and lawsuits.
On the website, consumers can find out about coverage options and discounts offered by the company as well as other insurance types that the company offers. You can also get an online quote on the website. Furthermore, consumers can get an ID card, make a payment, file a claim, and get a quote through the website. They also have an app where you can access your ID card, report and track a claim, and get roadside assistance.
The Bottom Line
- Amica Mutual is a national insurance company that has been in business for more than 100 years and has a A++ financial rating.
- Amica Mutual has a very high claims satisfaction rating compared to the rest of the auto industry according to J.D. Power. Furthermore, it is known for its excellent customer service. Their pricing is also competitive with other nationwide providers.
- In addition to car insurance, Amica Mutual has other types of insurance such as property, small business, life, wedding and event coverage, umbrella insurance, and retirement planning. Of these, the homeowners coverage offers a wider array of options for coverage than many larger insurance companies. Its small business insurance and life insurance, on the other hand, offer less coverage options that larger insurance companies.