Classic Collectors Auto Insurance is a division of Kemper Auto. The company has been insuring classic and collector cars since 1992. The collector car insurance company’s parent company is Infinity Insurance. The company offers insurance in 31 states and has over 50,000 customers. The company insures a variety of vehicles including antiques, exotics, muscle cars, street rods, tractors, military vehicles, and more. Its rates are very competitive and often beat many of its competitors. Additionally, the company offers flexible usage options and mileage plans so that their policyholders can enjoy their vehicles.
- Allows policyholders to use their own repair shop instead of specific shops selected by the company.
- Classic Collectors is a part of the Infinity Property and Casualty Company. Infinity has consistently been rated an AM Best’s rating of A.
- The company has flexible mileage and usage plans including a Drive-to-Work Coverage plan which allows your insured vehicle to be driven to work or school for up to 30 days during the policy period.
- No information is available on the company’s claims satisfaction rating.
- Classic Collectors does not give an instant quote over the internet.
- You cannot file a claim over the internet
- The company has strict driving record requirements for you to qualify for coverage.
Classic Collectors insures antique vehicles that are 25 years of age or older, modern classics which are 15 to 24 years old, exotics which are less than 15 years old, rare, or limited edition, street rods and modifieds which are 20 years old or older, special interest vehicle such as fire engines, military vehicles, farm equipment and motorcycles over 25 years old in show condition. Additionally, Classic Collectors insures kit cars and replicas.
To qualify for Classic Collectors Insurance coverage for your collector car, you and all licensed drivers in your household can have no more than 1 moving violation or at-fault accident in the past 3 years with a limit of two per household. The applicant cannot have a major violation such as reckless driving or a DUI. You must have at least 10 years of driving experience. Additionally, all licensed drivers in your household must have a regular use vehicle.
Your collector car must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage. Furthermore, the vehicle cannot be used for school/ work commutes, regular personal use, business/ commercial use, track, racing or timed events, as a substitute for a regular personal use vehicle or as backup transportation.
What Makes Classic Collectors Insurance Unique?
Classic Collectors Insurance offers flexible mileage plans and usage plans to allow their customers to enjoy their vehicles more than a number of other collector car companies. The company offers Drive-to-Work Coverage which allows the insured vehicle to be driven to school or work up to 30 days during the policy period and up to five consecutive days during a 14-day period. The overwhelming majority of collector car insurance companies do not allow the vehicle to be driven to school or work. Furthermore, with the unlimited mileage option, the vehicle can be driven across country so long as the usage requirements are met. Moreover, Classic collectors covers newly acquired vehicles for up to $75,000 for the first 30 days whereas most collector car companies only cover these vehicles for $50,000.
How Much Does Classic Collectors Insurance Cost?
One of the main factors that consumers, even those shopping for collector car insurance, consider when evaluating auto insurance companies is their rates. How rates are determined may differ slightly from that of traditional auto insurance companies due to the fact that collector cars typically are not for regular use.
To get a quote from Classic Collectors Insurance, simply go on the website and use their quote tool. When you fill out the information online, the company will then send you an email with your Authorized Classic Collectors Agent or Broker’s contact information. You can then email your contact person and request a copy of an estimated annual rate and policy parameters. Thus, this get a quote tool does not give you an instant quote like most auto insurance companies’ get a quote tool does.
Here is an example of Classic Collectors Insurance’s rate on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900 with a 1200 mileage plan:
- Agreed Value $67,900
- For $250 deductible on collision
- $250,000/ $500,000 Bodily Injury Liability
- $100,000 Property Damage Liability
- $1000 Medical Payments (per person)
- $100,000/ $300,000 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- $3500/ $100 deductible Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
- $100,000/ $300,000 Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- With a Good driver discount
Classic Collectors quoted an estimated annual premium rate of $388.00.
For the same vehicle with and agreed value of $77,900 and the same coverage parameters, Classic Collectors quoted an estimated annual premium rate of $429.
Classic Collectors Insurance vs. Condon Skelly: Who is more expensive?
In comparison, here is Condon Skelly’s policy parameters and estimated annual premium rate for the same car with an estimated value of $67,900:
- For $1000 deductible on collision
- $1000 deductible on other than collision
- Including liability coverage
- $1000 electronic equipment coverage
- Roadside assistance
- $1000 Spare parts
- $500,000 Bodily Injury/ Property Damage limit
- $10,000 Medical Payments
- $3,500 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage
- $100,000 Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual premium of $335.08
The two companies’ rates are very comparable. One of the factors that may have impacted Condon Skelly’s lower rate is the higher deductible. Condon Skelly is a low-cost leader in collector car insurance. With its comparable rates, Classic Collectors offers better rates than a number of its competitors.
Furthermore, Classic Collectors has the rates for a number of vehicles listed on its website because the company has not had a significant rate increase in 15 years. For example:
- 1966 Ford Mustang valued at $25,000……Classic Collectors insures for $184 per year
- 1968 Pontiac GTO valued at $35,000……Classic Collectors insures for $213 per year
- 1969 Chevy Camaro valued at $70,000……Classic Collectors insures for $398 per year
- 1984 Ferrari 512 bbi valued at $150,000……Classic Collectors insures for $801 per year
Classic Collectors lists a few of the discounts that the company offers on its website. These discounts include:
- The company offers a 15% discount for switching from a competitor’s comparable Agreed or Guaranteed Value policy.
- Belonging to an affiliated car club
- Large Collections
- Vehicle being equipped with a car alarm
- Taking a defensive driver training class
- Good driver discount
To find out about what other discounts Classic Collectors offers that you may qualify for, you may want to talk to an agent or representative.
Claims handling and claims satisfaction is a very important component of an auto insurance company that consumers look at when trying to decide on what company to insure their car. There is no point in having auto insurance if it is not going to be there when you need it. This may be especially true when dealing with high value classic and collector cars which you may have put a lot of time and effort into. Classic Collectors asserts that they have specially trained claims and customer service staff who understand the unique needs of collectible car enthusiasts.
How easy is it to file a claim with Classic Collectors Insurance?
- If you are involved in an accident, call 1-800-348-4269.
Classic Collectors states that they pay 90% of their claims within 7 days.
Classic Collectors insurance offers a wide array of coverage options to protect you and your collector car. The company offers many of the traditional coverage options offered by collector car insurance companies as well as some unique coverage options and features which collector car owners may be interested in.
- Agreed Value Coverage – In the event of a total loss, the company pays the full amount of coverage listed on the policy without depreciation or subjective valuation.
- Drive-to-Work Coverage – You can drive your collector car to school or work for up to 30 days during the term of the policy and up to 5 consecutive days in a 14-day period.
- Choose Your Own Repair Shop
- Newly Acquired Vehicle Coverage – Up to $75,000 for 30 days
- Spare Parts Coverage – free
- Trip Continuation Coverage – free, if you are in an accident more than 50 miles away from home, Classic collectors will pay up to $75 a day for lodging and transportation up to $500
- Full Glass coverage – free
- Emergency Roadside Assistance Coverage – free
- Flexible Mileage Plans – Antique, Classic, and Modified Vehicle – Unlimited Mileage Plan (usage guidelines still apply), 6,000-mile plan, 1200-mile plan; Exotics and Kits – choose from a 1,000, 3,000 or 5,000 mileage plan.
- Driver Club – free and automatic for policyholders
Classic collectors insures a variety of different types of classic and collector vehicles; however, it does not offer any other type of insurance.
Classic Collectors Insurance offers a good website experience, but it does have a few shortcomings. The company includes a lot of important information on their website such as the type of vehicles the company insures, the coverage, and who is eligible. Furthermore, this information is easy to find. On the flip side, the company’s “get a quote” feature could be better. Instead of giving an instant quote over the internet, the company emails you with contact information of an agent or broker that you can get in touch with. Furthermore, you cannot file a claim over the internet.
The Bottom Line
- The bottom line is that Classic Collectors Insurance is backed by Infinity which has an A rating for financial strength. The company offers very competitive rates that are lower than many of its competitors.
- Classic Collectors offers flexible mileage and usage plans to allow its policyholders to better enjoy their vehicles. This even includes Drive-to-Work Coverage which allows policyholders that choose this option to drive their car to work or school for 30 days.
- Classic Collectors may not be the company for you if you want to handle your auto insurance through the internet. The company does not have an option where you can submit a claim over the internet.
- You do need to have a clean driving record to qualify for coverage. Any major blemishes disqualify you from coverage with this company period.