Condon Skelly is a collector car insurance company that has been in business since 1967 and is run by collectors. The collector car insurance company is a division of NSM Insurance Group. The company claims that its policies cost approximately 60% less than traditional auto insurance companies. Unlike other collector car insurance companies, Condon Skelly does not have mileage limits or seasonal limits. Furthermore, Condon Skelly insures a variety of vehicles from original antiques to brand new exotic sports cars. The company caters to people who drive their collector cars primarily for hobby participation such as car shows and events and occasional leisure rides.
- Physical damage limits are on an agreed upon basis
- Offers coverage in all but four states.
- The company uses ‘agreed value’ policies
- Insures a variety of vehicles so long as they are collectible
- The company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Condon Skelly may not be able to offer the same bundling and perks as some of the larger auto insurance companies.
Condon Skelly insures collector cars for people who operate their vehicles primarily in cars shows, auto club events, and occasional leisure drives. The company insures three categories of vehicles. These categories are Classic/ Collector Cars, Antique Cars and Trucks, and Specialty Vehicles.
- Classic/Collector cars are vehicles, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles, that are at least 15 to 20 years old. The vehicle can either be in its original condition or modified.
- Antique Cars and Trucks are vehicles that are at least 25 years old in their original condition.
- The Specialty Vehicle category is the broadest and includes brand new exotics, modified street rods, and muscle cars. Additionally, vintage fire trucks, tractors, and military vehicles fall into this category.
Condon Skelly does not offer coverage in Alaska, Hawaii, North Carolina, and New Hampshire.
What Makes Condon Skelly Unique?
Condon Skelly is a classic and collector car insurance. Classic and collector car insurance companies are different from traditional insurance companies in many aspects:
- They utilize “agreed value” which lets the owner of the car determine its value for the case of a total loss.
- They often offer coverage that traditional car insurance companies do not such as spare parts coverage and inflation guard.
- They do not set a minimum age for the car.
Furthermore, Condon Skelly offers other unique features which distinguish itself from other collector car insurance companies:
- The company offers liability limits up to $1 million.
- Condon Skelly only requires a single application form instead of one per state, as some of the other collector car insurance companies do.
- Physical damage limits are based on agreed value.
- The company also offers uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage as well as medical payments for an additional charge.
- Last but not least, no mileage limits and no seasonal limit set this company apart from many other collector car companies.
The Valuation Equation ($$$)
One of the main factors that consumers, even those shopping for collector car insurance, consider when evaluating auto insurance companies is their rates. How rates are determined may differ slightly from that are traditional car insurance companies due to the fact that collector cars typically are not for regular use.
To get a quote from Condon Skelly, simply go on the website and use their quote tool.
Here is an example of Condon Skelly’s rates on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900:
- For $1000 deductible on collision
- $1000 deductible on other than collision
- Including liability coverage
- $1000 electronic equipment coverage
- Roadside assistance
- $500,000 Bodily Injury/ Property Damage limit
- $10,000 Medical Payments
- $3,500 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage
- $100,000 Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual premium of $335.08
(The estimates quote is subject to change after the company receives motor vehicle records, and information on type of usage and garaging security.)
(For the same car with an agreed value of $77,900, Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual premium of $564.40, which is almost 68% more expensive than the quote for agreed value of $67,900)
Condon Skelly vs. Progressive – who is more expensive?
In comparison, if you try to receive a quote from Progressive, this auto insurance company will direct you to Progressive Advantage Classic Car Insurance. (Progressive’s Classic Car insurance is in conjunction with Hagerty, along with Nationwide.)
Here is an example of Progressive’s rates on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900.00:
- Stored in a private garage
- Estimated 500 to 2500 miles per year
- Usage for shows, clubs, parades and pleasure
- 0 points on your driving record, licensed 20 years
- $250,00/$500,000 bodily injury liability
- $100,000 property damage liability
- $5,000 medical payments
- $50,000/$100,000 uninsured/ underinsured motorist bodily injury
Progressive quoted an estimated annual premium of $624, which is 86% more expensive than the quote by Condo Skelly for equivalent coverage
(For the same car with an agreed value of $77,900, Progressive quoted an estimated annual premium of $701, which is 24% more expensive than the quote by Condon Skelly)
Condon Skelly offers a variety of discounts; however, you must contact the collector car insurance company to find out what they are. Some discounts include:
- Vehicle anti-theft
- Club Car Involvement
- Multi-Vehicle Discount
- And more
No information could be obtained concerning Condon Skelly’s claims satisfaction rating. However, Condon Skelly has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1981 and does not have any consumer complaints. Furthermore, the company’s claims center is available 24/7.
How easy is it to file a claim with Condon Skelly?
Condon Skelly has partnered with York Claims Services for their claims handling. To report a claim:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- -or- call Condon Skelly’s claims reporting call center at 1-877-371-9774.
Condon Skelly asks that you have the following information handy when reporting a claim:
- Date and location of incident
- Insurance card
- Insurance and contact information for other parties
- General description of the incident
- The name of the police department involved and the incident report number.
- For expedited handling of a newly reported claim, reference Condon Skelly’s client code 4599.
Condon Skelly offers a variety of coverage options. These coverage options include:
- Agreed Value Coverage
- Liability (Bodily Injury/ Property Damage)
- Roadside Assistance
- Medical Payments
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
- Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- Electronic Equipment Coverage
- Spare Parts Coverage
- Automatic Coverage for Newly Acquired Collector Autos
Condon Skelly insures Classic/ Collector Car, Antique Cars and Trucks, and Specialty Vehicles. It does not offer any other type of insurance.
Condon Skelly offers a nice website experience; however, it does have its shortcomings. The website lists the types of vehicles that the company insures. Furthermore, the site lists a contact phone number and offers an online quote feature. Moreover, the site has a live chat function. The site, however, does not list the coverage options clearly. Additionally, the portal for policyholders to manage their policy online is not clearly identified which may cause some policyholders to glance over it.
The Bottom Line
- Condon Skelly is a very solid insurance company for collector cars.
- Condon Skelly does not have mileage limits or seasonal limits on their collector car policies. However, Condon Skelly does not cater to people who wish to use their collector cars for regular use. Instead, the collector car insurance company caters to people who drive their collector cars as a hobby in car shows, auto club events, and for occasional leisure drives.
- The company insures Classic/ Collector Cars, Antique Cars and Trucks, and Specialty Vehicles
- The company has been in business since 1967 which means it has proven sustainability.
- The physical damage limits are on an ‘agreed value’ basis.
- Condon Skelly offers a variety of coverage options