The CSAA Insurance Group is a AAA insurer that is headquartered in Walnut Creek, California. AAA Norther California, Nevada, and Utah used to be known as the California State Automobile Association or CSAA. This is actually one of the largest motor clubs that is a member of AAA. CSAA began offering auto insurance in 1913 and later, in 1974, it started offering homeowners insurance. Today, CSAA offers auto insurance, property insurance, and other personal lines through partnerships with AAA auto clubs in 23 states and Washington D.C.
As an AAA insurer, it is often difficult to distinguish this company from AAA when researching it online. Consumers should beware of the low claims satisfaction rating that CSAA has. AAA may be a good auto insurer for people in other regions; however, for consumers in the Northern California, Nevada, and Utah region, CSAA’s claims satisfaction rating is so low that consumers should seek insurance elsewhere.
>>MORE: See our full review of AAA insurance
- CSAA Insurance Group is a AAA member club.
- Serves approximately 17 million AAA members.
- Rated A+ for financial strength by A.M. Best.
- CSAA has a very low claims satisfaction rating according to a recent J.D. Power study.
- Reviews for the company are quite concerning. J.D. Power rates the company’s claims satisfaction as abysmal;
You will not have an easy time telling which insurance products are being sold by CSAA as opposed to any other AAA partner. However, if you see the name CSAA, you should beware. CSAA’s claims satisfaction rating is significantly below the Automobile Club of Southern California, another AAA insurer.
CSAA Insurance Group serves the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, Washington DC and Wyoming; and portions of California, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
The Valuation Equation ($$$)
The cost of auto insurance is one of the main factors that consumers take into account when selecting auto insurance. The insurance company uses several criteria to determine your rate. In addition to the company’s rate range, your age, your address, your vehicle type, your driving history and your coverage options are all taken into account to determine your rate. Because CSAA is a AAA insurer, it is difficult to determine which rates are CSAA’s as opposed to any other AAA rate. However, AAA’s rates tend to have some consistency across the board with all of its insurers. Furthermore, a recent Insure.com survey gave the company very high marks in the value for price category.
To get a quote from CSAA, you can go online and use the online platform. Additionally, you can call the number on the AAA website (844-810-6077).
Unlike with a lot of other large insurers, which offer the same potential discounts to all of their customers, CSAA’s discounts vary significantly by state. Here is an example of the discounts that the company offers in the state of California.
- 5% for Membership Savings
- 11.8% for Companion Home
- 12.5% for Multi-Car
- 20% for Teen Smart
- 10% for Good Student
- 20% for Good Driver
Like with other auto insurance companies, the discounts that you qualify for with CSAA Insurance Group are mostly determined when you get the policy. However, you can add discounts you become eligible for later to save on your rate. And just like with most other auto insurance companies, you need to remain eligible for the discount throughout the life of the policy to keep receiving the discount.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as price when shopping for quality automobile insurance. CSAA’s claims satisfaction rating is very poor, landing the company the third from the bottom in a recent claims satisfaction study.
How easy is it to file a claim with CSAA?
- File a claim by visiting the website at: https://calstate.aaa.com/?zip=95126&devicecd=PC
- You can also file a claim by calling 1-800-922-8228.
What is the average customer experience and satisfaction with CSAA Insurance Group?
Every year, J.D. Power surveys an estimated 10,000 customers who have filed a claim in the last six months. Insurance providers are ranked on a 1000-point scale based on the results of the survey. CSAA is ranked below most other insurance carriers with a score of 835/1000. The national industry average is 861/1000. In comparison, State Farm, the largest insurance company in the United States, scored an 864/1000, just above the national average. Geico, the second largest insurance company in the US scored 857/1000, right below the national average.
CSAA offers the same coverage options as a number of other AAA motor clubs. These coverage options include:
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Property Damage Liability
- Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Medical Payment
- Rental Reimbursement – NV/UT Only
- New Car Added Protection – Available in NV/UT
The company does not seem to offer rideshare insurance unlike many auto insurance companies its size. Furthermore, GAP insurance is not listed on the company’s website.
In addition to Automobile insurance, CSAA Insurance Group along with AAA offers life insurance, health insurance, property insurance including homeowner’s and renters insurance, travel insurance, and Mexico insurance. Thus, CSAA can take care of your personal insurance needs. Unlike many companies its size, however, CSAA does not appear to offer business insurance.
Similar to other AAA motor clubs, CSAA offers an excellent website experience. Through its website you can obtain a quote, find a local agent or branch, view your policy, print your insurance card, pay your bill, or set automatic payments. You can also file and view your claim online. Thus, there isn’t much that you cannot do using the company’s website which is very easy to navigate. There is also a downloadable app for your convenience.
The Bottom Line
- CSAA Insurance Group is a AAA insurer. As a AAA insurer, the company has solid financial strength and the same coverage options and discounts that AAA offers for auto insurance.
- CSAA, however, has a very low claims satisfaction rating. In fact, according to the 2018 J.D. Power US Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, CSAA was third from the bottom. This low showing was very surprising for a AAA insurer. However, several review sites such as Everquote and Insure.com have found that consumers tend to be very satisfied with the company and its customer service.
- You can join AAA and still get your auto insurance from another company. This is something that you may want to consider because the CSAA’s claims satisfaction rating is a little to low to take a chance on the company.