Dairyland states that it is the cheap auto insurance company with coverage from a company you can trust. The company has been in business since 1953. Dairyland started in Wisconsin and claims to have small town values. The company provides auto insurance for high risk and nonstandard drivers. This insurance is available in 43 states. Dairyland may be a good choice for high risk and nonstandard drivers.
- Offers SR-22 and Nonowner SR-22 Insurance.
- Provides auto insurance for high risk and nonstandard drivers.
- The company is known for excellent customer service and competitive prices. (May not hold true against standard auto insurance companies)
- Offers insurance to people with a foreign license.
- Will insure unique vehicles.
- Rated an A+ by the Better Business Bureau.
- A.M. Best financial strength rating of A+.
- Limited number of physical locations.
- According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Dairyland’s complaint rating is higher than the national average.
Dairyland Insurance offers auto insurance to a number of consumers that traditional auto insurance companies would not insure. The company is very strong financially and is rated an A+ by the Better Business Bureau. It has high rates compared to other insurers; however, this is typical of the high risk and nonstandard driver insurers. Drivers that do not fit into this category would be better off getting insurance elsewhere. However, Dairyland Insurance may be good for high risk drivers and drivers with foreign licenses.
The Valuation Equation ($$$)
As expected, Dairyland’s rates are rather high compared to traditional insurance companies for standard drivers. For example, a single, 20-year-old male with no accidents or tickets who lives in Maryland and drives a 2016 Honda Camry Base Model pays $4,590 a year for full coverage. Geico, Progressive, State Farm, and AllState would charge this driver $1025, $1,525; $1,836, and $1,978 respectively. Similarly, for a married female over age 50 with no accidents or tickets, Dairyland’s rates were at least $750 higher than these other insurance with a rate of $2,210.
However, high risk or nonstandard drivers who have difficulties finding insurance with common insurance companies might find it easier to get insured with Dairyland and accept its rates.
Dairyland offers a number of discounts which consumers may qualify for to lower their car insurance premiums. They fall into these categories:
- Multi-Car Discount – A discount for insuring multiple cars.
- Advanced Quote Discount – A discount for getting a quote at least a week ahead of when you need insurance.
- Transfer Discount – Transfer a policy that you have had for at least six-month with another company to Dairyland and get a discount.
- Payment Frequency Discount – Pay more than the minimum on your payments and you may qualify for a discount.
- Homeowners Discount – Get a discount for owning a home. If you rent and apartment and have renters insurance, you can get a discount in some states as well.
- Defensive Driving Discount – Take defensive driver course and provide proof you passed to get this discount.
- Anti-Theft Discount – A discount for securing your car with an anti-theft device.
Thus, Dairyland give a sufficient number of discounts for a car insurance company of its size. The company does not seem to offer discounts for vehicle safety features and being a good driver like most larger auto insurance companies. Like with other auto insurance companies, the discounts that you qualify for are determined when you purchase the policy. However, you can add some discounts you become eligible for later to save on your rate. And just like with any other auto insurance company, you must remain qualified for the discounts that you receive throughout the life of the policy to maintain the discount.
Dairyland’s claims satisfaction rating is not listed by J.D. Power or any of the rating systems that rank larger insurance companies on their claims satisfaction. However, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, in 2017 Dairyland complaint ratio was more than twice the national median. This is actually average for this type of auto insurance company.
Dairyland offers a little more than the basic coverage options. The coverages that the company offers are the following:
- Liability Coverage
- Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist
- Personal Injury Protection
- Medical Payments
- Physical Damage Coverage
- Towing and Labor
- Rental Car Reimbursement
- Lienholder (This coverage ensures that your limits are high enough to protect your lienholder’s interest.)
- Special Equipment Coverage
Thus, Dairyland offers more coverage options that most small auto insurance companies geared toward high risk and nonstandard drivers.
Dairyland Insurance only insures automobiles and motorcycles as well as scooters and mopeds.
Dairyland has a well-developed website which explains the coverage options that it offers along with the discounts that you can get. On the website you can get a quote, find an agent, and make a payment. The website also has the phone number its Claims Department, although you cannot actually file a claim on the site. Dairyland also has a mobile app that you can download.
The Bottom Line
- Dairyland’s policies are best for high risk and nonstandard drivers. The company has superior financial strength to pay its claims and is rated an A+ by the BBB.
- Dairyland’s rates are high compared to standard auto insurance companies.
- You should expect Dairyland to operate in much the same way as many other high risk and nonstandard auto insurance companies as Dairyland does have a higher than average rate of complaints according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.