Encompass Insurance, which advertises that it has coverage levels to fit your life, is a subsidiary of AllState. It is a personal property and casualty insurance company. The company was founded in 1999 and currently has revenue of $1 billion. Its key product is Encompass One which is a combined auto and home policy. Encompass also has good rates for young drivers. Thus, Encompass is a good company for young drivers and older people with assets they desire to protect.
- The Encompass One policy is designed for people who wish to bundle auto and homeowners insurance.
- Rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau. The company is not, however, accredited by the BBB.
- A.M. Best financial strength rating of A+.
- Encompass Insurance is a small insurance company that only has approximately 1,400 employees.
- Their pricing is mid range and not the most affordable.
- Their insurance is only sold by agents and you cannot purchase it online.
- Not available in Iowa, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Idaho.
Encompass is sold exclusively through a network of independent agents. It is one of the largest personal property and casualty insurance brands that is sold in this manner. Its signature insurance is the Encompass One policy which insures both your home and automobiles with a single premium and deductible.
Its rates are reasonable compared to the larger insurance companies such as State Farm and Progressive. This is especially true for young drivers who may be able to find a better rate at Encompass. Encompass, however, does not allow you to manage your policy online. Thus, it is best for young drivers and people who have accumulated a certain amount of wealth.
The Value Equation ($$$)
The cost of auto insurance is often one of the primary determining factors when consumers decide on which auto insurance company they want to go with. Encompass does not advertise nor does it offer the most competitive pricing. However, the company’s rates are well in range of other major companies.
Encompass Insurance, like most other auto insurance companies, bases its rates on various personal criteria such as your age, driving history, type of vehicle, location, and coverage options.
To obtain a quote from Encompass Insurance, you must get it through one of their local agents. The company does not offer quotes online.
Here is a quick glimpse of how Encompass’s average premiums compare to three large national auto insurers.
|Male under 25||$2,597||$2,991||$1,696||$2,646|
|Female age 25 - 64||$755||$574||$962||$902|
|Male Under 25 with 1 at-fault accident||$2,960||$3,695||$2,138||$3,122|
|Female age 25 - 64 with 1 at-fault accident||$912||$1,021||$1,277||$1,300|
|Male 65+ with 1 at-fault accident||$831||$1,121||$1,186||$1,266|
Even though Encompass is not known for low insurance premiums, they company actually offer better rates on auto insurance for young drivers than companies such as State Farm, Progressive, and Farmers.
Encompass Insurance’s home insurance tends to cost more than that of larger competitors such as State Farm, and Liberty Mutual. Thus, buying and Encompass One policy may only offer a good deal to young drivers.
Encompass has a number of discounts listed one their website for which their policyholders may qualify. They include the following:
- Safe Driving Bonus – If none of the drivers on your policy get into and accident for the previous 12-month period, you get 5% off.
- Future Effective Date – Discount for the policy being issued seven or more days before the effective date.
- Encompass Easy Pay – Get discounts for using Encompasses automatic payments feature.
- New Car Discount – Get a discount for owning a new car.
- Homeowners Discount – Get a discount for owning a home, condo, townhouse, or mobile home.
- Good Payer Discount – Get a discount for paying on time.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Complete an approved defensive driving course and save.
- Car Safety Features – get a discount for having anti-lock brakes, passenger restraints, or an anti-theft device.
- Good Student Discount – Students can get a discount for maintaining a B average or above.
- Driver Training Discount – People under 21 can get a discount for taking a driver’s training course.
- Resident Student Discount – This is often called the Student Away discount and is available for students who go to school more than 100 miles from where the car is located.
Similar to other auto insurance companies, the discounts that you qualify for with Encompass Insurance are mostly determined when you obtain the policy. However, you can add discounts you become eligible for later to save on your rate. Discounts are determined by a variety of factors such as driver education, car safety, and driving record. You must remain qualified for the discounts you receive throughout the life of the policy to maintain the discount.
Typically, an auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is second only to price; however, since Encompass deals with wealthy customers, the claims satisfaction rating is probably the primary factor consumers will look at when trying to decide whether to purchase insurance from the company. Encompass does not have a documented claims satisfaction rating; however, the company does not have many complaints with a Better Business Bureau rating of A+.
How easy is it to file a claim with Encompass?
Encompass does not allow its policy holders to file a claim online; however, the company does try to make its claims process as simple as possible. Online you can find a clear explanation of the claims process along with the phone number that you need to call.
- You can file a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 1-800-588-7400. An Encompass representative will return your phone call by the end of the next business day.
Encompass also offers a service to its policyholders known as TimeSaver. This service has the mission of helping you get things repaired and replaced as quickly as possible.
The primary coverage option that Encompass Insurance offers is the Encompass One policy which comes in three different packages. The packages are the Special Package, the Deluxe Package, and the Elite Package.
- Special Package – This is a combined home and auto policy that includes the features that are included in their standard policy plus no deductible glass repair, medical expense coverage, and home replacement cost.
- Deluxe Package – This includes the basic insurance plus higher policy limits, accident forgiveness, extended living expense benefits, and up to 200% replacement value for the home.
- Elite Package – This package has the highest policy limits in addition to higher replacement cost for your home along with sewer and drain coverage, enhanced accident forgiveness, and a safe driving bonus.
You can also purchase auto insurance separately from Encompass Insurance. The company offers all of the typical basic coverage options that other car insurance companies do such as the following:
- Liability Coverage
- Personal Injury Protection
- Medical Payments Coverage
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist
- Collision Coverage
- Comprehensive Coverage
Furthermore, all auto insurance policies include a waiver of the deductible on glass-only repairs.
Additional add-on coverage options include:
- New Car Replacement
- Accident Forgiveness
- Gap Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
Moreover, the Safe Driving Bonus gives you a 5% discount after 12 months with no tickets or accidents.
Besides auto insurance, Encompass offers home insurance and home business insurance. You can purchase home insurance from the company for a traditional home, a condo, a high-value home, as well as a multi-home policy. You can also purchase renter’s insurance through Encompass. The company offers differing levels of coverage which includes coverage of the home structure, personal property, and liability.
Their home business policy is called HomeWork and it differs from traditional homeowner’s policies in that it offers coverage specifically tailored to a home business. If you have a home office, you can purchase supplemental liability coverage, business property coverage, business income loss coverage, and extra expense coverage through Encompass Insurance.
Encompass Insurance also offers Umbrella Insurance, Identity Theft Insurance, and Lifestyle and Personal Liability Coverage. Furthermore, the company also insures motorcycles, recreational vehicles, snowmobiles, and boats.
Encompass has a well-structured website which details the insurance products that they have available. You cannot get a quote, manage your policy, or file a claim on its website; however, you can get in touch with an agent to do these things through the website. Moreover, Encompass has a MyEncompass feature on its website through which you can pay your bill and view your policy.
The Bottom Line
- Encompass is a subsidiary of AllState with a financial strength rating of A+. They have an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.
- Its policies are sold exclusively by a network of agents.
- Their primary product is Encompass One which is a combination of auto and home insurance. This make Encompass best suited for people who want these two policies combined together.
- Encompass offers good rates for young drivers and a lot of discounts. Encompass is, however, more expensive than other companies for older drivers. Its homeowners insurance is more expensive than other companies as well.
- Encompass does not allow you to manage your policy online.