GoAuto Insurance is a small auto insurance company that is available in Louisiana and Nevada. The company was founded in 2009. It holds itself out as a family owned low-cost auto insurance company. The company only sells auto insurance. GoAuto sells its auto insurance policies as direct buy policies with noncommissioned agents.
- The company’s agents do not work on commission.
- Rated an A+ by the Better Business Bureau.
- GoAuto only sells auto insurance so there is no bundling discount.
- The company’s website does not discuss coverage and discounts.
- The company only offers basic coverage.
- According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners GoAuto has a high rate of complaints compared to the national average.
GoAuto Insurance sells low cost car insurance through the direct buy system. It has local offices in both Louisiana and Nevada and distinguishes itself from Geico as a direct seller of insurance because Geico does not have any local offices. Although the company is not necessarily a nonstandard driver insurance company, GoAuto advertises itself in a way that would attract these customers. GoAuto states that it is able to offer low rates by skipping extensive add-ons, suggesting that the company offers primarily basic coverage.
The Value Equation ($$$)
The cost of car insurance is one of the primary determining factors for customers when they are shopping for car insurance. GoAuto advertises that it is the low-cost car insurance company due to the fact that it does not have many coverage add-ons. However, this company uses the same criteria upon which to base their rates as many of the larger auto insurance companies. These factors include age, location, driving history, coverage options, and type of vehicle. You can get a quote from GoAuto directly on their website.
There isn’t much information out there about the company’s rates; however, here is a little information that we collected:
GoAuto rate for 18-year-old male with one at-fault accident located in Baton Rouge is approximately $3,726 per year. Geico, another direct seller, charges an annual rate of $3,508 a year for an 18-year-old male without an at-fault accident and Farmers charges $6,518. Although this is not an entire apple-to-apple comparison, it is quite reasonable to infer that GoAuto may actually be a low-cost insurer compared to traditional insurers, because Geico’s rate for an 18-year-old male with an at-fault accident should be quite significantly higher than $3,726, which is GoAuto’s rate for the same driver.
Similar to larger insurance companies, GoAuto offers discounts that its customers can qualify for to help reduce their premiums. The discounts the company offers includes the following:
- Longer Term Policy Discounts – If you get a policy written for a longer term, you may immediately qualify for a discount.
- Multi-Car Policy – Insure multiple cars from GoAuto and get a discount.
- Safe Driver discounts – Go without an accident for a number of years and you may get a discount.
- Membership discounts – If you belong to AAA or AARP, you may qualify for a 10% discount.
*GoAuto’s website does not list discounts; however, these seem to be some of the discounts the company offers.
Like with other auto insurance companies, the discounts that you qualify for with GoAuto are mostly determined when you obtain the policy; however, you can add discounts you are eligible for later to save on the rate. Discounts are determined by a variety of factors such as age, location, coverage options, and driving record. Furthermore, just like with other auto insurance companies, you must remain eligible for the discount throughout the life of the policy to maintain the discount.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as price when shopping for quality auto insurance. However, there is reason to believe that the company’s customer claim satisfaction is very debatable.
GoAuto is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, but was given an A+ by the organization for handling. This either indicates that the company does not receive many complaints about its claims handling or the company resolves these complaints in a timely manner to the satisfaction of its customers.
However, according to the Louisiana Department of Insurers, GoAuto has more than twice the median number of complaints. Furthermore, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, GoAuto has a very high rate of complaints.
How easy is it to file a claim with GoAuto?
- File a claim by visiting its website at: http://goautoinsurance.com/Report-A-Claim.aspx
There are no alternative ways to file a claim listed on the company’s website; however, you can probably file a claim by calling the company or visiting a local office as well.
GoAuto offers basic coverage options. The company advertises that the primary reason it can keep its rates low is that it does not offer extensive add-ons. The coverage that the company offers includes the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Property Damage Liability
- Collector Car Insurance – This type of insurance covers cars that are not for daily use such as antique cars, cars used in car shows, exotic cars, limited edition cars and more.
GoAuto only sells car insurance and does not offer any other types of insurance.
GoAuto’s website experience is on the low side. Although you can get a quote online, you can not find out about its coverage or discounts. This is the basic information that should be on the company’s website. You can, however, file a claim and pay your bill online.
The Bottom Line
- GoAuto is a direct seller of auto insurance in Louisiana and Nevada which claims to offer lower rates than the traditional insurers. Although the company does not hold itself out as a company for nonstandard drivers, these customers seem to gravitate to this company.
- The company offers few coverage options which are not discussed on the website, nor are their discounts. You can, however, get a quote online.
- GoAuto is rated an A+ by the BBB, yet the company has a high rate of complaints according to other agencies.
- GoAuto does offer good rates for young drivers with an accident compared to other insurers.