Grundy Worldwide Inc. Insurance company has been in business since 1947 and is headquartered in Horsham, Pennsylvania. It is a division of Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Although Grundy is known as a collector car insurance company, the company actually offers a variety of different types of insurance including homeowners insurance, personal excess liability, collection insurance for artwork and more. The company offers ‘agreed value’ policies and rates that are competitive with other collector car companies. Furthermore, the company offers a variety of coverage options to ensure that your vehicle is fully covered.
- Grundy offers Agreed Value Coverage for collector cars
- Policies do not have mileage limitations
- The company offers inflation guard
- Grundy insures a wide array of collections
- For a loss, you can get up to 150% of the total insured amount if your car has increased in value
- Policyholders must pay the full annual premium up front. The company does not allow installment payments
- Grundy will not insure people with several blemishes on their driving record.
- The policy that Grundy offers online has lower coverage limits than some other collector car insurance companies
Grundy will insure most types of vehicles that are at least 25 years of age. Furthermore, the company insures modern muscles and exotics of any age. Although you are not allowed to use your collector car as a daily driver, Grundy gives policyholders unlimited miles for pleasure driving. The vehicle must be stored in an enclosed secure garage; however, when away from home it is still covered if parked outside.
To obtain a collector car’s auto insurance policy from Grundy, there are some eligibility requirements that a potential policyholder must meet. These requirements include no more than two moving violations, no DUIs in the last three years, and no more than one at-fault accident.
What Makes Grundy Unique?
Grundy advertises itself as ‘The Olde Original’ and boasts that it is the largest insurer of hot rods in the United States. One standout feature of this collector car insurance company is that it will insure a car of any age unlike many other antique, classic, and collector car insurance companies which require that your car be over a certain age to qualify. Furthermore, the company does not have a mileage limit, although Grundy does not allow the policyholder to drive the collector cars that they insure for regular use.
Unlike many other antique, classic, and collector car insurance companies who just offer auto insurance, Grundy offers a number of other different types of insurance as well. In addition to collector cars, Grundy offers insurance for car collections, classic boats, homeowners insurance, special collection insurances, yacht and boat insurance, personal excess liability insurance, and commercial insurance programs for classic car dealers, museums and more. Thus, in addition to cars, you can insure gun collections, art collections and more with Grundy Worldwide Inc. Insurance.
Furthermore, Grundy offers a Motor Vehicle Program (MVP) which allows its policyholders to combine all of their vehicles under one policy. This means that one premium can cover collector cars, daily use cars, pickup trucks, trailers, exotic cars, and motor homes. The company will give you ‘Agreed value’ protection on all of your vehicles, not just your collector car. Furthermore, if you suffer a loss and the vehicles current market value exceeds that of your coverage limit, the company will reimburse you up to 150% of the insured amount. Other coverage you will receive includes breakdown assistance, transportation expenses emergency living expenses, original equipment manufacturer parts, new vehicle replacement, full glass coverage, waiver of deductible, personal property, pet coverage, and cash settlement (optional).
Because Grundy will pay out up to 150% for a total loss when the vehicle has increased in value, this insurance company is good for people whose car value may increase.
How Much Does Grundy Car Insurance Cost?
An auto insurance company’s premium rate is one of the primary factors that consumers look at when shopping for auto insurance. This is true even for collector car enthusiasts who want to protect their pleasure vehicles. How rates are determined for collector cars may differ slightly from that of traditional car insurance companies due to the fact that collector cars typically are not for regular use. A collector car insurance company’s base rates have more of an impact on your rate than your driving history or other demographic factors.
To get a quote from Grundy Worldwide Inc. Insurance, simply go on the website and use their get a quote tool.
Here is an example of Grundy’s rates on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900.00:
- $100,000 Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability
- $1,000 Medical Payments
- $35,000 Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury and Property Damage
- Auto Show Medical Reimbursement
- Full Windshield coverage
- $500 Spare parts coverage
- $250 Towing and Labor
- $600 Trip interruption
- $67,900 Agreed Value
- $0 deductible comprehensive and collision
Grundy’s estimated annual premium rate for a policy with these parameters is $488.00.(For the same vehicle with an agreed value of $77,900, Grundy offered an estimated annual premium rate of $550.00 a year.)
Grundy vs. Condon Skelly: Who is more expensive?
In comparison, Condon Skelly, which lets the consumer have more control over coverage limits, offered a similar policy quote that includes:
- For Agreed Value $67,900
- Drive 2,000 miles a year
- $0 deductible on collision
- $0 deductible on other than collision
- Including liability coverage
- $1000 electronic equipment coverage
- $1000 spare parts coverage
- Roadside assistance
- $100,000 Bodily Injury/ Property Damage limit
- $2,000 Medical Payments
- $3,500 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage
- $50,000 Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual premium of $480.44
For the same car with an agreed value of $77,900, and the same parameters Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual premium of $536.44.
As these parameters are the closest that Condon Skelly offered to that of Grundy, you may note that the spare parts limit is $500 higher, Medical Payments coverage limit is $1000 higher, and the Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury and Property Damage coverage limit is approximately $15,000 higher, yet the estimated premium rate is $8 cheaper. Thus, Condon Skelly may offer more value for this premium price.
Grundy does not have any discounts listed on its website; however, the company is likely to offer many of the same discounts as other collector car and traditional auto insurance companies.
How easy is it to file a claim with Grundy?
- To file a claim, you need to contact your underwriter directly, either through Grundy’s claims page on its website or through the phone numbers that are listed on the page or on your policy.
Therefore, Grundy’s claims process is not as simple as filing a claim directly through Grundy, as is the process with most traditional auto insurance companies. However, all of the information that you need to file a claim can be found on the company’s website. Furthermore, if you click on your underwriter under the appropriate section, you can file a claim online.
Grundy Worldwide Inc. Insurance offers policies for collector cars that already have the specific types of coverage that policyholders will receive preselected. The coverage that is included with a policy from Grundy is as follows:
- Full Agreed Value Guaranteed
- No Deductible in Most States
- Full Comprehensive and Collision
- Liability with Limits Up To $1,000,000
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
- State Required PIP as Medical Benefits
- Inflation Guard Value Protection
- Spare Parts Inventory Coverage up to $500
- Trip Interruption up to $600
- Towing and Labor up to $250
- Automatic Coverage on Newly Acquired Vehicles
- Uninterrupted Coverage during repairs
Thus, Grundy Worldwide Inc. Insurance offers a wide array of coverage to protect you and your collector vehicle.
Grundy insures automobile collections. In fact, Grundy boasts that the company insures the majority of the top 200 private American automobile collections. The coverage that the company offers for car collections includes agreed value insurance, global coverage, 150% coverage cushion, diminution in value coverage, maximum coverage, and custom premiums.
Grundy also insures classic boats. The company insures boats of all sizes. Furthermore, it insures classic boats, power boats, mega-yachts, and racing sailboats. Grundy’s classic boat insurance coverage includes agreed value insurance, high limits of liability, lowest deductible options, repair by yard of your choice, search and rescue, marine environmental damage coverage, wreck removal expenses, emergency expenses, uninsured boaters, medical expenses, and longshoremen’s and harbor worker’s compensation act coverage.
Grundy also offers homeowners insurance. They will insure primary homes, secondary homes, historic homes, and waterfront properties in all 50 states with Guaranteed Replacement Cost coverage.
Grundy also offers Special Collections Insurance. The company will insure fine art, wine, antiques, rare books, or any other fine memorabilia. Additional collections that the company will insure includes jewelry and watches, stamp collections, coins, firearms, musical instruments, silverware, autographs, dolls and more.
Grundy also has Commercial Insurance Programs. The company has a Car Restorer Program, a Car Rebuilder Program, Classic Car Dealer Insurance, and Car Museum Insurance.
Grundy offers a good website experience. On its website, you can find answers to typical questions such as ‘what type of vehicle do you cover?’ and ‘how can I use my car?’. Furthermore, you can get a quote easily with the “get a quote” feature on the website. Moreover, the company does help you file a claim with your underwriter online with simple clickable buttons. Also, you can easily find information on the other types of coverage that the company offers online. Additionally, there is a client login portal so that you can handle your account online.
The Bottom Line
- Grundy offers collector car insurance and a wide array of other insurance options such a Special Collections Insurance and homeowners insurance, classic boats insurance, insurance for car collections, and several options for commercial collector car business insurance.
- Grundy may be one of the only collector car companies that allows its policyholders to insure all of their vehicles, even their daily use vehicles through the company for agreed value.
- Grundy’s annual premium rates are competitive compared to other collector car insurance companies. Grundy’s rates on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900.00 was comparable Condon Skelly and more affordable than American Modern.
- Grundy pays out up to 150% of the insured amount for vehicles whose value has increased since it was insured.