Founded in 1810 in Hartford, Connecticut, the Hartford is another large national insurance company with usual car insurance rates for most of its customers. For customers over 50, however, who are members of the AARP, the Hartford has better than average rates and a number of special perks. The Hartford also offers a number of other insurance types so you can take care of all of your insurance needs with one company. This company is best suited for drivers over 50.
- The company’s financial strength is rated an A+ by A.M. Best.
- The Hartford’s complaint ratio is better than average according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Has a partnership with AARP, so the company offers some insurance at extra saving to its members.
- Guarantees price for 12 months after policy begins.
- The Hartford also offers lifetime renewability.
- The Hartford’s claims satisfaction rating is higher than the national average according to the J.D. Power 2018 US Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
- The company offers other forms of auto insurance including property insurance, umbrella insurance, and business insurance.
- The Hartford’s rates for young drivers are higher than other large national car insurance companies.
- There are claims that its online quote system fails to work, and you may have to call and speak to a representative for a quote.
The Hartford is a large national insurance company that offers several different types of insurance to take care of all of a consumer’s insurance needs. As for auto insurance, The Hartford offers a number of coverage options and discounts. Customers who are members of the AARP can save even more. Because of the Hartford’s claims satisfaction rating, financial strength, coverage options, and discounts, as well as its value for price and its AARP partnership, The Hartford is an excellent choice for car insurance for consumers over 50. The Hartford, however, is not a good choice for young drivers who tend to get cheaper rates with another auto insurance company.
The Valuation Equation ($$$)
Although the Hartford is a major auto insurance company, it does not have any rates or rate comparisons readily available like most large national auto insurance companies do. However, The Hartford received four out of five stars on the J.D. Power’s 2017 Insurance Shopping Survey with one of the primary categories being Value for Price. Thus, The Hartford’s customers feel that they do receive sufficient value of the price of their premium.
The Hartford’s rates are calculated in the same way as that of other car insurance companies. Similar to other auto insurance companies, the factors that the Harford considers when setting your premium rate include, their rate range, your age, your address, your driving record, your vehicle type, and the coverage options that you select.
To get a quote from the Hartford, simply go online and input your zip code to get started. Some people have reported experiencing problems with the online quoting system, claiming that they had to call in and speak to a representative to get a quote.
The Hartford offers a number of discounts which consumers may qualify for to lower their car insurance premiums. They fall into these categories:
Safe Vehicle Discounts
- Anti-Theft Device – get a discount for having an anti-theft device attached to your car.
- Airbags – Get a discount on your auto insurance if your car has airbags. You can save even more if you have an AARP policy.
- Fuel Type – Get an auto insurance discount for hybrid and electric vehicles.
Discounts for Driver Training and Education
- Driver Training Discounts – Discount for drivers under 21 who complete an approved training course.
- Good Student Discounts – Discounts for full time students between 16 and 25 who maintain a B average.
- Defensive Driver Course – Get discounts for the next three years for taking an approved defensive driver course.
Additional Ways to Save on Car Insurance
- Bundle Insurance Savings – Bundle auto insurance with home, condo or renters insurance and save 5% on auto insurance and 20% on your property insurance.
- Paid-in-Full Discount – Pay your bill in full and save.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as price when shopping for quality automobile insurance. The Hartford’s claims satisfaction rating is higher than the national average.
How easy is it to file a claim with Hartford?
- You can file a claim by visiting Hartford’s website at: https://autoclaims.thehartford.com/personal/dist/html/#/home
- File a claim by phone by calling (AARP members): 1-877-805-9918
- File a claim by phone by calling (Non-AARP members): 1-800-243-5860
What is the average customer experience and satisfaction with The Hartford?
Every year, J. D. Power surveys an estimated 10,000 consumers who have filed a claim in the last six months. Insurance providers are ranked on a 1000-point scale based on the results of this survey. The Hartford is ranked near the top of the list with a score of 868/1000. The national industry average is 861/1000. In comparison, State Farm, the largest insurance company in the United States scored an 864/1000, just above the national average. GEICO, the second largest insurance company in the US scored 857/1000, right below the national average.
The Hartford offers a significant number of car insurance options, similar to other large car insurance companies. The coverage options that The Hartford offers includes:
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Personal Property Liability
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
- Medical Payments
- No-Fault Coverage
- Auto Glass
- Rental Car Expense
The Hartford offers a variety of coverage options for its regular policyholders, but it offers a special package of options for its AARP members called the Advantage Program. For AARP members the Advantage Program includes:
- Lifetime Renewability Auto Insurance
- 12-Month Auto Insurance Rate Protection
- RecoverCare – Assistance After an Accident
- New Car Replacement Coverage
- Lifetime Car Repair Assurance
- 24/7 Car Insurance Claims Hotline
- Advantage Plus Program
- First Accident Forgiveness
- Disappearing Deductible for Auto Insurance
- One Deductible
- Waiver of Deductible for a Not-A-Fault Accident
- $100 Deductible Reduction
The Hartford does not just insurance traditional automobiles. Additionally, The Hartford insures classic cars, recreational vehicles, ATVs, boats, golf carts, and snowmobiles.
Moreover, The Hartford offers property insurance. The company offers an extensive list of coverages under its homeowners insurance, probably around the most coverage options you will find in an insurance company. Furthermore, you can purchase condo insurance, renters insurance, flood insurance and umbrella insurance from the company.
Business Owners can obtain business insurance through The Hartford. The types of business insurance the company offers includes Business Owner’s Policy, General Liability Insurance, Workers Compensation Insurance, Business Income Insurance, Commercial Auto Insurance, Commercial Flood insurance, Commercial Property Insurance, Commercial Umbrella Insurance, Data Breach Insurance, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, Home-Based Business Insurance, Management Liability Insurance, marine Insurance, Multinational insurance, Professional Liability Insurance, Risk Engineering, and Surety & Fidelity Bonds. The company also offers Employee Benefits which include Group Life & Accident, Group Disability, Voluntary Benefits, Group Retiree, Absence Management, Value Added Services, and Associations and Affinity Groups.
The Hartford offers an excellent website experience. On its website, you can find all of the information that you need on its products to start making an informed decision. Furthermore, you can join the AARP and get a quote. You can log in to your account to manage your policy, pay your bill, and file a claim. The company also has an express pay feature which does not require an account login. Moreover, you can view your ID cards, track your claim, and find repair shops. The Hartford also has a mobile app that you can download.
The Bottom Line
- The Hartford is a very solid national insurance company with an A rating for financial strength and above average claims satisfaction.
- The company is an excellent choice for car insurance for people over 50 due to its partnership with the AARP. It is a bad choice, however, for young drivers.
- In addition to auto insurance, the Hartford offers a number of other types of insurance including property insurance, business insurance, and umbrella insurance.