Kemper is an insurance company that is based out of Chicago, Illinois which sells automobile insurance through several of its companies, both through insurance agents and direct buy. It was founded in 1990. The main auto insurance companies include Kemper Direct, Kemper Personal and Commercial Lines, and Kemper Specialty California. Kemper Direct is known for low rates which make it a good coverage choice for people in the states that it serves. Its larger competitors such as Geico, Esurance, and Progressive also offer online quotes and purchase so you should shop online for the best deal.
- A.M. Best rating of A- which is a rating of “Excellent”. This means that the company has the financial standing to fulfill its claims.
- The company insures more than 6 million policies through the US.
- There are a number of different companies under Kemper so you should be able to find some coverage that suits your needs.
- Kemper Direct’s rates are known to be competitive with other auto insurance companies of the same nature.
- Although not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, the company does have an A+ rating
- Kemper Direct is only available in 26 states.
- Kemper Personal and Commercial Lines is sold through agents and may not be competitive in price due to agent commissions.
The company offers auto insurance through several different companies with direct buy policies, policies sold through agents, and high-risk coverage. Kemper Direct is their direct buy line that is available in 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Kemper Personal and Commercial Lines is available through an agent. Kemper Specialty California offers nonstandard driver insurance.
The Value Equation ($$)
The cost of car insurance is one of the primary factors that consumers look at when they are trying to decide on an auto insurance company. Kemper uses some of the same criteria that many other insurance companies take into account when trying to decide on your car insurance rate. These criteria include your age, your address, your driving record, the type of car you drive, your marital status, and your coverage options.
You can get a quote from Kemper online. This is especially true for Kemper Direct where you can get a quote and purchase the insurance online.
Kemper Direct’s rates are known to be approximately 20% below the average car insurance rate, but because car insurance is dependent on so many personal factors, you should get a quote online and comparison shop with a few other providers. If you would like to make your purchase online without an agent, you can also get quotes at Geico, Esurance, and Progressive.
Kemper Personal and Commercial Lines, which is sold through agents may have higher premiums. Kemper Specialty California, which insures high risk drivers, probably has higher rates as well.
Similar to other insurance companies, Kemper Direct Auto Insurance offers discounts to its customers that lower their insurance premiums. Here are some of the discounts that they offer.
- Multi-Policy Discount – Buy auto and home insurance to get a discount on both.
- Multi-Car Discount – If you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Network Discount – You get a discount for referring a friend if the friend purchases auto insurance from Kemper. Both you and your friend receive a 10% discount.
- Free-A-Tree Discount – Go paperless and enroll in EasyPay automatic payment service.
- Happily Married Discount – Customers in marriages, as well as legally recognized civil unions and domestic partnerships can get a discount.
- Preferred Payer Discount – The more you pay in advance, the more you save. Pay in full for the biggest discount.
- Retro Loyalty Discount – Switch to Kemper and they will reward you for your loyalty to your previous insurer.
- Safe & Sound Discount – For having 2+ drivers on your policy who have not received any tickets or been in an at-fault accident in three years.
- Car Safety Features Discount – For having safety features on your vehicle such as Airbag Discount, Passive Restraints Discount, and/or Anti-Theft Discount.
- Mature Driver Discount – Policyholders aged 55 or older who have recently completed a state-approved accident prevention course may receive a discount.
When you apply for Kemper insurance, they will determine which discounts you qualify for. However, you can add discounts you become eligible for later to save on your rate. However, you must remain eligible for the discounts throughout the life of your policy to receive the discounts.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is as important as price when shopping for quality auto insurance. Kemper does not have a claims satisfaction rating by J.D. Power.
How easy is it to file a claim with Kemper?
- File a claim through their website claim feature.
- Call a Kemper Claims representative: Kemper Specialty Auto and Commercial Vehicle – 866.536.7376, Kemper Preferred Home and Auto – 888.252.2799.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Kemper’s complaint ratio is better than the national average for an insurance company of its size.
Here are some unique coverage options Kemper offers.
Protect Your Wallet
- Renewal Assurance assures you’re always able to renew your policy barring any major incidents.
- Accident Forgiveness protects you from rate changes due to an accident even if you’re at fault.
Protect Your Sanity
- Roadside Assistance – In case you get a flat tire, need gas, towing or a jump or experience a lockout.
- Rental Car Reimbursement – If your vehicle is out of commission because of a covered loss, we’ll reimburse you for up to $30 per day with a $600 maximum benefit on covered losses.
- Trip Interruption – If you’re traveling and an accident or mechanical issue is an obstacle, we’ll provide up to $600 for expenses such as transportation and lodging if you’re over 100 miles from home.
Protect Your Family
- Pet Protection – Get up to $2,000 in medical expense coverage for your pets (cat or dog) if they were injured due to a covered accident.
- Enhanced Car Seat Replacement – If you are in an accident, your children’s car seats can be replaced even if they are not damaged.
- Dependent Protection – The company also provides daycare costs if you cannot care for your children due to an accident. Furthermore, the company will pay your dependents $10,000 if you are fatally injured in an accident.
Kemper offers several other types of insurance. Kemper does not only insure traditional automobiles, it insures boats and commercial autos. Additionally, Kemper offers property insurance which includes home, renters, condo, personal valuables and collectables. Moreover, the company offers health insurance and life insurance. Furthermore, Kemper offers Personal Catastrophe, identity fraud, and package insurance.
Kemper offers a decent website for its customers to use. On its website, you can get information on the insurance products that the company offers. You can also get a quote, report a claim and login to view and manage your policy. Thus, their website will do; however, other companies have easier to use, better organized websites available for their customers.
The Bottom Line
- Kemper Insurance is made up of Kemper Direct, Kemper Personal and Commercial Lines, or Kemper Specialty California for non standard drivers.
- Kemper Direct services 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
- They have an A+ rating from the BBB and an A- financial strength rating from A.M. Best.
- Kemper Direct is known for offering lower than average rates.
- The company also has a better than average complaint ratio.
- If you like to shop online without going through an agent, you should get quotes from Kemper Direct together with Geico, Esurance, and Progressive.