Leland-West was founded in 1981 and is headquartered in Fresno, California. Leland-West originally started off as a classic and exotic car insurance company for the Porsche Club of America. In 1995, the company expanded to insuring all makes and models of Classic Car Auto Insurance and exotic automobiles. The company offers competitive rates that are on the lower priced side. Furthermore, the company offers agreed value policies with inflation guard that include a number of other coverages such as roadside assistance, trip interruption, and more.
- Leland-West partners with AXA Art and New York-based AXA Insurance Company, an insurance industry leader with an A+ financial strength rating and almost $112,205,000,000.00 in revenue worldwide.
- Available in all but four states and the District of Columbia.
- The company has an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau; however, it is not accredited.
- Endorsed by the Porsche Club of America
- The company offers unlimited, limited, and flexible mileage plans.
- The company has not been insuring a variety of makes and models of classic and collector cars for that long a period of time.
- The company’s website is poorly designed compared to its competitors websites. It contains little information and many features are difficult to find.
- There is little to no information available concerning Leland-West’s claims handling and claims satisfaction rating.
Leland-West provides insurance in all states across the country with the exception of Alaska, Hawaii, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Washington D.C. To be eligible for coverage from Leland-West a potential policyholder must have at least nine years of driving experience. Each licensed driver in the household must have a daily use vehicle. Vehicles insured by Leland-West can only be driven on a limited pleasure-only basis unless you purchase an Occasional Commuting Endorsement.
The types of cars that Leland-West insures includes exotics, muscle cars, antique autos, sports cars, street rods and hot rods, kit cars, replicas, and classic and collectible cars which are rare or simply desirable. Modifications to the vehicle are generally acceptable but must be disclosed. Furthermore, the company insures classic and custom motorcycles and the trailers that go with them, race cars and special interest vehicles.
What Makes Leland-West Classic Car Insurance Unique?
One of the most unique features about Leland-West is the company’s mileage flexibility. The company offers unlimited, limited and flexible mileage plans. Furthermore, unlike most other classic and collector auto insurance companies where, if you do not drive up to your mileage limit in a year, these miles expire with the policy, Leland-West allows your miles to rollover to the next year. Your unused miles never expire.
How Much Does Leland-West Classic Car Insurance Cost?
An auto insurance company’s premium rates are one of the most important aspects of the company that people look at when trying to select and auto insurance company. This is true even for collector car owners. You want to protect your prized possession at a reasonable rate. How rates are determined for collector cars differs slightly from that of traditional auto insurance companies due to the fact that collector cars typically are not for regular use.
To get a quote from Leland-West, simply go on the website and use their quote tool.
Here is an example of Leland-West’s rates on a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with 6,358 miles on it and an estimated value of $67,900.00, annual mileage of 3,000, no occasional commuting, no alarm, and an auto club discount:
- For $1,000 collision deductible
- $100,000/ $300,000 bodily injury liability
- $50,000 property damage liability
- $100,000/ $300,000 uninsured motorist coverage
- $2000 Medical Payments
- Earthquake coverage
- Nationwide roadside assistance
- $2,000 spare parts coverage
- Full safety glass, $0 deductible
- Trip interrupter
- $50,000 Newly acquired autos coverage
- Supplementary Payments – $200 per day
Leland-West quotes an estimated annual rate of $376.76 for a 40-year-old driver with no moving violations, no at-fault accidents, and no driving violations.
For the same vehicle with an $77,900 agreed value, Leland-West quoted an estimated annual rate of $415.76.
Leland-West Classic Insurance vs. Condon Skelly: Which is more expensive?
In comparison, Condon Skelly offers a similar policy for the same vehicle with an agreed value of $67,900.00:
- For $1000 deductible on collision
- $1000 electronic equipment coverage
- Roadside assistance
- $2000 spare parts coverage
- $300,000 Bodily Injury/ Property Damage Liability
- $2000 Medical Payments
- $3500 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
- $300,000 Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Condon Skelly quoted an estimated annual rate of $344.68.
Although Condon Skelly’s rate is slightly cheaper, Leland-West offers a slightly better policy; however, the rates for these two companies is very comparable. Most other collector car insurance companies are slightly more expensive.
Leland-West does not mention any discounts on its website. However, many of the typical discounts probably are available. Contact the company at 877-237-4730 or 559-431-8282 to find out what discounts it offers and what discounts you qualify for.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is very important in assuring policyholders that their insurance company will be there for them if they need to file a claim. Claims satisfaction ratings for classic and collector car insurance companies, however, are very difficult to find. It is good to note that Leland-West does not have any complaints filed against it with the Better Business Bureau.
How easy is it to file a claim with Leland-West Classic Insurance?
- Leland-West does not make its claims process clear on its website. You should go to the Customer Service link and fill out the form. Under ‘Priority’ select Claim. Submit this customer service form with information concerning the incident in the message section to begin the claims process
When looking at this customer service form that you must fill out and submit with three levels of urgency including claim, it may be reasonable to assume that the company’s claims filing and handling process is not streamlined which can lead to a longer claims handling time.
Although the company’s website could stand to be improved to include more information, one thing that the website does include is information concerning policy coverage highlights.
- $2000 for direct and accidental loss of spare parts
- $600 trip interruption coverage to cover your lodging and transportation expenses if you are stranded because your classic car breaks down.
- Relocation expense reimbursement
- New Car Additional Coverage – Up to $50,000 for any classic car you buy in addition to ones that are already insured by Leland-West
- Pet Injury/ Death Coverage – Up to $750 for veterinary care or replacement of pets
- Agreed Amount Coverage with Inflation Guard
- Mileage Rollover – Your unused miles from one policy year roll over to the next.
- Nationwide Roadside Assistance – available for only $10 a year.
Leland-West only offers classic and collector car insurance for a variety of different types of vehicles.
Leland-West’s website is professionally designed; however, it does not contain a great deal of information. It does contain an instant quote option in the top right corner of the page which is easy to find and use. And it actually works – sometimes. It is difficult to find any information concerning filing a claim on the website. Furthermore, there does not seem to be a current policyholder login section where policyholders can manage their account. Thus, Leland-West’s website is not fully functional compared to that of other auto insurance companies, even collector car insurance companies. Verdict – The website needs to be improved.
The Bottom Line
- Leland-West offers very competitive rates on agreed value policies with inflation guard and a number of other coverages. In fact, the company rates tend to be lower than many of its competitors in the collector car insurance industry.
- Furthermore, Leland-West has several mileage plans that you can choose from to suit your needs. These plans include an unlimited option, a limited option and a flexible mileage plan. Moreover, if you do not use up your allotted miles in a year, with Leland-West, your miles rollover to the next year. This is something you will not find with most other auto insurance companies.
- The company is very solid financially due to its partnership with AXA Art and New York-based AXA Insurance Company.
- Leland-West’s website, however, leaves something to be desired. The website is missing a current policyholder login section as well as a portal on which policyholders can file a claim. Furthermore, although it has a get a quote feature, this feature is not always working properly.