Mapfre Insurance is the 19th largest provider of personal automobile insurance in the US and is actually the largest private passenger automobile, homeowners’ and commercial automobile insurer in Massachusetts. It sells its products in 19 states in the United States. It offers automobile, property, business and life insurance. Mapfre sells its products through independent agents. The company is part of Mapfre Group. Founded in 1933, Mapfre Group is an insurance company based in Madrid that serves Spain and Latin America. It is actually Spain’s leading insurance company. Furthermore, the company is Latin America’s largest non-life insurance company. The company has over 27 million customers worldwide.
- The company’s financial strength was rated an A by A.M. Best.
- Accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- Has over 1 million customers in the United States.
- The company does not have rate information readily available.
- Only available in California, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Florida.
The Value Equation ($$$)
To obtain a quote from Mapfre, you can go to its website and input your information. In markets where Mapfre is a significant insurer, like Massachusetts, its rates are more competitive than bigger traditional insurance company like Geico and Progressive. Below is how the average rate of Mapfre compares with these two bigger insurers.
|Average annual premium||Average monthly premium|
Similar to other auto insurance companies, Mapfre takes into account your age, address, marital status, driving record, and gender when determining your car insurance rate. Other factors that may be taken into account are the make, model and year of your car, your car insurance history, and how you use your vehicle.
Just like with other auto insurance carriers, Mapfre offers a variety of discounts so that their customers can save money on insurance. Here are the discounts that the company offers:
- Multi-Car Discount – Get a discount for having more than one car insured with Mapfre.
- Multi-Policy Discount – insure both your auto and home through Mapfre and get a discount.
- Annual Mileage – Drive less than 10,000 miles a year and you may qualify for a discount.
- Paid in Full Discount – Get a discount for paying your policy in full.
- Green – Get a discount for being environmentally friendly
- AAA Member – Get a discount for being a member of AAA
- teenSMART – A teenager on the policy takes a teenSMART course, you can get up to a 15% discount on your policy.
- Student Discounts – Mapfre offers both good student and student away discounts.
- Smart Driver – Take in control crash prevention training.
A Mapfre auto insurance agent may have information on even more discounts that the company may offer.
In addition to discounts, Mapfre also offers some value programs, something which is not offered my many auto insurance companies. These value programs include:
- Disappearing Deductible – drive safely and your deductible may be reduced.
- Accident Forgiveness – an at-fault accident does not increase your premium.
- Auto Glass Repair – Streamlined system for having your glass repaired and replaced.
- Car EZ Program – makes getting your car repaired after an accident easy.
- DriveAdvisor – Provides online feedback to make driving safer.
- ePICS – makes car inspection easy.
- TeenSMART – interactive computer-based training experience to make your teen a safer driver
An automobile insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as price when shopping for quality automobile insurance. Mapfre’s claims satisfaction ratings are well below the national industry average.
How easy is it to file a claim with Mapfre?
Filing a claim with Mapfre is easy.
- File a claim by contacting Mapfre directly. The company’s contact information differs by state and is listed here: https://www.mapfreinsurance.com/en/contact/
- File a claim online at: https://mcr.mapfreinsurance.com/claims/#/ReportClaim
- Contact your insurance agent to file a claim
What is the average customer experience and satisfaction with Mapfre?
Every year, J. D. Power surveys an estimated 10,000 customers who have filed a claim in the last six months. Insurance providers are ranked on a 1000-point scale based on the results of the survey. Mapfre is second to last for the auto insurance companies listed with a score of 828/1000. The national industry average is 861/1000. In comparison, State Farm, the largest insurance company in the United States, scored an 864/1000, just above the national average. Geico, the second largest insurance company in the U.S. scored 857/1000, right below the national average.
Mapfre offers many of the same coverage options as other auto insurance companies of its size. The company’s coverage options include:
- Medical payments
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Rental Car Replacement
- Towing & Labor
- AutoMaster Package Endorsement
May also offer
- SR-22 filings
- Gap Insurance
- Usage Based Insurance
- Nonowner Insurance
- Rideshare Insurance (some states)
In addition to traditional automobiles, Mapfre insures motorcycles, boats, yachts, watercrafts, and recreational vehicles.
Mapfre also offers property insurance. Its property insurance offerings include homeowners insurance, renters insurance, condo insurance, a home repair program, home security protection, and Identity Theft Protection.
Business Insurance is also offered through the company. The types of business insurance that the company offers is a commercial auto policy and a businessowners insurance as well as SafetyAdvisor to make your business safer.
The company also offers umbrella insurance, travel insurance, and life insurance.
Mapfre has a nice easy to use website which includes all of the information that you need concerning the coverage and the discounts that it offers so that you can read over this information before you obtain a quote. You can get a quote, find an agent, manage your policy, and report a claim. Important numbers are also listed on the website.
The Bottom Line
- Mapfre, which offers insurance in 19 states, has over 1 million customers in the United States, excellent financial strength and is rated an A+ buy the Better Business Bureau.
- In markets where Mapfre is a significant insurer like Massachusetts, its rates are more competitive than traditional bigger insurance companies like Geico and Progressive.
- Its claims satisfaction rating is far lower than the majority of auto insurance companies of its size.
- The company offers a lot of coverage options, discounts, and value programs to save consumers money on their auto insurance rates.
- Mapfre offers several other types of insurance in addition to auto insurance.