Metromile is a pay-per-mile auto insurance company designed for low-mileage drivers. They offer pay-per-mile car insurance and a driving app to keep track of your mileage. This is a San Francisco based start-up founded in 2011 and is only available in 8 states. They charge their customers a flat monthly fee plus a mileage fee. Insurance through the company includes a Metromile Pulse which you plug in under the dashboard to measure the miles. Metromile is a good choice for drivers who drive under 10,000 miles a year.
- Consumers who drive less pay lower rates with pay-per-mile.
- Claims to save drivers an average of $611 a year.
- All miles over 250 a day are free.
- Does not charge a cancellation fee.
- Has an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.
- The company’s free app tells you where your car is parked.
- Only available in eight states. Metromile is available in Arizona, California, Illinois, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.
- Metromile has a higher rate of complaints than other auto insurance companies its size. (They may or may not be pay-per-mile).
Metromile claims to be the car insurance company for the low mileage driver. The company charges a base rate which is determined in the same way as premiums for other auto insurance companies. On top of the monthly base rate, you are charged pennies per mile. Metromile’s base rate starts at $29/month. Thus, people who only drive short distances or infrequently may be able to save a significant amount of money with this type of car insurance. It is important to note, however, that Metromile has more complaints than similar sized auto insurance companies. Therefore, if you drive enough that your rates are only slightly lower with Metromile, you may want to consider going with a car insurance company with greater claims satisfaction.
The Value Equation ($)
The cost of an auto insurance premium is one of the primary determining factors for customers when they are shopping for auto insurance. Metromile uses some of the traditional factors that other auto insurance companies use when setting auto insurance rates to determine your base rate such as your age, your location, your driving record, your automobile type, and your coverage options. Metromile also factors in your credit history and length of prior insurance.
The company’s rates start off as low as $29 a month. To get a quote from Metromile, simply go to the company’s website and put in your zip code. After that, you will be asked the same questions a typical auto insurance providers asks including vehicle, driving history, location and lastly how many estimated miles you drive per month.
Because Metromile is a pay-per-mile auto insurance provider, it is difficult to compare its rates to traditional car insurance companies. A sample quote for a 35 year old female driver in Los Angeles, CA came up to approximately $108.62/month for a 100/300/100 liability coverage and driving 625 miles a month. This works out to approx 21 miles a day)
Here’s how the quote was broken out:
- Base Rate: $55.49/month
- Mileage: $0.085/mile * 625 miles = $53.13/month
- TOTAL: $108.62
In comparison, the same driver would pay $133.76/month or $25 more to drive an unlimited number of miles.
Metromile sells insurance directly to the consumer so you can purchase your insurance online without speaking to an agent.
Metromile does not have any driver or vehicle discounts listed on its website and only seems to offer one. The company does offer a Multi-Car discount on your base rate if you insure more than one car with Metromile. Mature drivers (older drivers) may also pay less.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as price when shopping for quality automobile insurance. Metromile has more than the median number of complaints according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
How easy is it to file a claim with Metromile?
- File a claim by going to their website at: https://www.metromile.com/claims/
- You can file a claim through their app.
- For assistance with filing a claim, you can call 1-888-595-5485.
Metromile offers many of the same coverage options as traditional car insurance companies. These coverage options include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Property Damage Liability
- Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Coverage
- Medical Payments Coverage
- Rental Reimbursement
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
It is important to note that for the monthly base rate, your parked vehicle is covered.
Metromile offers a clean and user-friendly website experience for its current and future customers. You can obtain a quote online and also learn more about the coverage options. The frequently asked questions section is thorough and can help you learn more about what they offer. Metromile also has an app for consumers.
Metromile only provides auto insurance and does not offer any other types of insurance.
The Bottom Line
- Metromile can help save low mileage drivers and drivers who drive infrequently a lot of money on their car insurance without sacrificing coverage. It is pay-per-mile with a base rate and mileage rate. Unfortunately, Metromile is only available in eight states.
- The company has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Metromile is considered to have good financial strength due to its securing over 295 million in funding, but it does not have an A.M. Best rating.
- The company has more than the median number of complaints according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. This means that the company’s customers experience more dissatisfaction than the average auto insurance company of its size.