Root Car Insurance, founded in 2015, is a different type of car insurance that largely bases your rates on your driving behavior. The company claims to be able to keep rates for good drivers low by refusing to insure bad drivers. Root claims that by refusing to insure high-risk drivers, good drivers save up to 52%. The company does offer good rates for good drivers; however, Root offers basic coverage options, abet all of the basic auto insurance options. If you are a good driver and are willing to take a two to three week driving test to get a quote, you can save money with Root Car Insurance; however, the company is too new to be completely assured that the company will be able to pay its claims and stay around for the long haul.
- The amount you pay for auto insurance depends on your driving habits.
- Quotes tend to be lower than many other auto insurance companies for good drivers.
- A good auto insurance company for people who are considered high-risk drivers due to factors other than their driving. For example, teen drivers who do well on the driving test often receive lower rates from Root than they would from a traditional auto insurance company.
- All of the company’s policies come with roadside assistance which consumers can access through the app.
- The company is accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners has not received any official complaints about the company.
- Root Car Insurance is only available in 25 states.
- Does not offers specialized coverage such as Rideshare insurance and Gap Insurance.
- The quote process takes two to three weeks or more.
- The company typically pays claims within 7 to 10 business days.
- Founded in 2015, the company is still relatively new.
- Root does not have insurance agents.
- Although the company does not have any official complaints, consumer reviews on the Better Business Bureau website give the company two out of five stars.
Root Car Insurance provides auto insurance to consumers that is priced according to their good driving habits. Instead of basing rates largely on factors such as your age, gender, marital status, and credit score like traditional auto insurance companies, this company uses your driving factors. The company factors in braking speed, turns, time of day, miles driven, and driving routes. To obtain Root Car Insurance, you download the app and sign up for a test drive. The company’s app monitors your driving for two to three weeks or more and gives you a score. The company provides an auto insurance quote and policy based on this score. If your driving skills are subpar, the company will decline to offer you a policy.
Root Car Insurance is available in 25 states. These states include Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah. Furthermore, Root Car Insurance is currently expanding and will be available in West Virginia, Virginia, Washington D.C., New Hampshire, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alaska, Hawaii, California, and Nevada soon.
The Valuation Equation ($$$)
An auto insurance company’s rates are very important to many consumers when they are trying to decide on an auto insurance company. In fact, Root Car Insurance’s main selling point is that the company is able to offer lower rates by only insuring good drivers. To determine who is and who is not a good driver Root Car Insurance has a two to three week driving test that consumers must take before they can obtain a policy. The test is scored, and your score is the primary factor that is used to determine your rate.
Driving factors such as braking speed, turns, time of day, miles driven and driving routes are the main things that are used to determine your rate. Demographic factors such as your age, locations, and credit score count less; however, they do have an impact on your rate as well. Because rates are largely determined by driving factors, Root Car Insurance does not have rates that are readily available to compare with other auto insurance companies. Yet, Root Car Insurance is known for offering good drivers cheaper rates as they claim (up to 52% cheaper)
The company does not list its discounts but claims that it gives a significant number of discounts through its app. One discount that Root offers is a referral discount for getting your friends and relatives to sign up for the auto insurance company.
Other discounts that the company is believed to offer include:
- Anti-Theft Discount
- Defensive Driving Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Homeowners Discount
- Safety Device Discount
Just like with any other insurance company, Root Car Insurance will use the discounts that you qualify for at the beginning of the policy to reduce your rate. You need to remain qualified for these discounts throughout the life of your policy to keep receiving the discounts. Furthermore, if you become eligible for new discounts that you are not receiving at the start of your policy, be sure to contact Root to get a reduction in your rate.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as its rates when it comes to choosing a quality auto insurance company. It is important that you can trust your auto insurance company to pay on its claims should you have to file one. Root Car Insurance has not been rated for claims satisfaction.
How easy is it to file a claim with Root Car Insurance?
- Root Car Insurance recommends that you file a claim through their app.
- You can also file a claim by calling 1-866-903-8451
- To file a glass claim call 1-866-903-7243
Even though Root Car Insurance is a new company that has not been rated for claims satisfaction, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners has not received a complaint filed against the company which has been in business since 2015. Consumer review on the BBB website, however, show that a number of the company’s consumers may be less than satisfied with the company.
Root Car Insurance offers a full list of coverage options. The auto insurance the company offers includes:
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Property Damage Liability
- Medical Payments
- Personal Injury Protection
- Uninsured/ underinsured Motorist Coverage
- Rental Car Reimbursement
- Roadside Assistance
Thus, Root Car Insurance offers all of the basic car insurance options. The company, however, does not offer any specialized coverage options.
Root Insurance Company only offers automobile insurance.
Root Car Insurance offers a good website experience to consumers. You can find out all of the information that you need including its coverage options. You cannot get a full quote online due to the fact that the company requires that you take a two to three week driving test upon which the company bases your quote. Furthermore, the company offers an app that you can download to take care of your insurance needs. Through the app, you can file a claim, pay your bill, manage your coverage, and access your auto insurance information.
The Bottom Line
- For low mileage drivers, Root Car Insurance is an excellent alternative to the new pay-per-mile insurance because you pay a set rate every month that is determined in part by the number of miles you typically drive.
- Founded in 2015, the company is very new and does not have the longevity of traditional auto insurance companies.
- The company’s app monitors a significant amount of information about you and your driving.
- Root Car Insurance does not have any complaints according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners; however, the company’s consumer reviews on the BBB website show that a number of consumers are unsatisfied with the company. (It is important to note that satisfied consumers may be less likely to go to the BBB website and write a review.)