Founded in 1993, SafeAuto insurance is a property and casualty insurance company that provides state-minimum requirements automobile insurance to drivers who are classified as non-standard. The company operates in 17 states. It only offers liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage options along with three discounts for which a customer may qualify. Thus, SafeAuto is best for high risk and nonstandard drivers who want to satisfy the state minimum requirements to drive.
- Offers SR-22 certificate coverage.
- SafeAuto offers property insurance, business insurance, and health insurance
- Only available in 17 states. These states include: Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Illinois, Missouri, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas, Virginia, Texas and California
- SafeAuto only offers Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive coverage.
- SafeAuto’s insurance policies may not be suitable to protect you in a serious accident.
- The company only offers three discounts.
- The company has a higher than average complaint ratio according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- A.M. Best has not rated the company’s financial strength.
SafeAuto is an auto insurance company for high risk and nonstandard drivers that specializes in offering the state minimum required insurance. In fact, the company’s slogan is “Legal for Less.” The company only offers basic coverage for auto insurance. It is surprising that the company does offer other forms of insurance. These types of insurance use other names besides SafeAuto and seem to offer some of the typical coverage options above the bare minimum. Yet, SafeAuto should still only be considered by high risk and nonstandard drivers.
The Value Equation ($$$)
The cost of a car insurance premium is one of the primary factors that many people consider when shopping for an auto insurance company. Consumers who fall into the high risk or nonstandard driver category may have a harder time getting insurance from a traditional auto insurance company and may have limited options when it comes to car insurance; however, these consumers are still looking for the best rates.
To get a quote from SafeAuto, simply go to their website, input your zip code and click ‘Get A Quote.’
Here’s a quick glimpse of how Safe Auto’s average annual premiums compare to two large national providers, Progressive and Geico.
|Drivers in 20s||$2,584||$1,413||$2,247|
|Drivers in 30s||$2,584||$1,200||$2,253|
|Drivers in 40s||$1,920||$1,174||$1,623|
|Drivers with an at-fault accident||$2,653||$2,518||$2,173|
|Drivers with DUI/DWI||$2,681||$2,216||$2,432|
|Drivers with speeding ticket||$2,560||$1,829||$2,679|
Thus, SafeAuto’s rates are competitive but slightly higher than Progressive’s, even with most risker drivers. Geico’s rates are significantly cheaper.
SafeAuto offers a few discounts for which its customers may qualify. These are the discounts that are listed on its website.
- Multi-Vehicle – You can get a discount for having more than one vehicle insured by SafeAuto.
- New Business Transfer – Get a discount for switching from another auto insurance company to SafeAuto.
- Homeowner – Get a discount for being a homeowner.
SafeAuto does not have any other discounts listed on its website. Thus, the number of discounts the company offers is similar to the number of coverage options.
You may qualify for these discounts when you start your policy with SafeAuto. If you become eligible for any of these discounts after your policy has begun, you should contact a representative to see about applying the discount to reduce your policy premium. Furthermore, you likely need to remain qualified for the discounts that you receive throughout the life of the policy in order to continue receiving these discounts.
An auto insurance company’s claims satisfaction rating is just as important as price when shopping for quality automobile insurance. SafeAuto’s claims satisfaction rating is not listed by J.D. Power. The company is accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. However, a number of consumer review sites have notes that SafeAuto has received a number of complaints for slow claims response times. There have also been complaints from non-SafeAuto customers who have been in an accident with a SafeAuto customer that the company tries to avoid paying its claims.
How easy is it to file a claim with SafeAuto?
- Although the company has a very functional website, you cannot file a claim on the website. You must call: 1-800-723-3288.
SafeAuto offers basic coverage options for its current and future policyholders to choose from. These are the coverage options listed on its website.
The company’s primary purpose is to provide the state minimum in auto insurance coverage; however, you can select higher limits to increase your coverage. Thus, SafeAuto is only a good choice of auto insurance coverage for consumers who are seeking to meet the minimum requirements to drive within the state.
In addition to auto insurance, SafeAuto also sells homeowners insurance and renters insurance.
Cover Wallet is the name of the Business Insurance that SafeAuto offers. The policies that they offer include general liability, workers compensation, business owners policy, and commercial property.
SafeAuto also provides government and private health insurance plans that include short term medical, dental insurance, critical illness, and life insurance. It is offered under the name Augeo Benefits Health Insurance.
Moreover, SafeAuto offers ForeverCar service plans for mechanical repairs.
SafeAuto has one of the best websites of insurance companies that specialize in insuring high risk and nonstandard drivers available. On the website, you can get a quote, manage your policy, make a payment, file a claim, and learn about other types of insurance that the company has to offer. You can also purchase your insurance online and access your ID cards. Unlike many auto insurance companies for high risk drivers, Safe Auto also has a downloadable app upon which users can manage their policy, make a payment, and file a claim.
The Bottom Line
- SafeAuto is an auto insurance company that focuses on insuring high risk and nonstandard drivers. The company primarily provides car insurance to meet the state minimum requirements. Thus, SafeAuto only offers liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage which may not be enough coverage to protect you in a serious accident even if it is enough coverage for it to be legal for you to drive.
- SafeAuto’s rates are higher than companies such as Geico and Progressive.
- The company is not rated by J.D. Power for claims satisfaction; however, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, SafeAuto’s complaint ratio is significantly higher than the national median. Complaints that the company receives regard slow response times on claims as well as trying to avoid paying on claims filed by drivers not insured by SafeAuto who were in accidents with SafeAuto customers.
- The company does provide other types of insurance such as property insurance, health insurance, business insurance, and mechanical repair services.
- The Bottom Line is that SafeAuto is only good for high risk and nonstandard drivers.