Ethos provides term life insurance policies for 10, 15, 20, and 30 years to applicants aged 18 to 75 years old — unless they live in New York. People can apply for life insurance entirely online using the company’s attractive, streamlined website. Most applicants don’t need a medical exam, unless they want a policy of $1 million or more or have certain health issues. Ethos life insurance premiums aren’t necessarily competitive, but they’re comparable to other insurance providers.
Let’s start with a few interesting facts about Ethos:
- Ethos has only been around since 2016, but policies are underwritten by Assurity Life Insurance Company, an established provider with 100 years of history.
- Ethos provides term life insurance policies between $25,000 and $10 million to applicants between ages 18 and 75 for terms of up to 30 years depending on age, health, and lifestyle.
- The company doesn’t deal with whole life insurance or other types of permanent coverage, or offer any other kind of product.
- The application process is entirely online and takes around 10 minutes. Most applicants are approved within minutes and coverage begins as soon as the first premium is paid. Others can take 7-10 business days if more information is necessary for underwriting.
- Policies worth fewer than $1 million usually don’t require medical exams.
- Ethos works to provide affordable quotes, but they’re more comparable than competitive.
Haven Life probably sounds pretty good to you already, but let’s dive into the heart of it.
- The application process is around 10 minutes and is entirely online.
- Because you can go up to $10 million, you can get much more coverage than some other term life insurance companies (say, Haven Life for example).
- Ethos insurance agents don’t make commission, which means applicants aren’t pushed one way or another. When they contact help, that’s all they get — help.
- Most policies under $1 million don’t require medical exams.
- There’s no waiting period. Once you’re approved and give an agent the go-ahead, your card is charged and your coverage begins.
- Monthly premiums stay the same throughout the term; after that, applicants can renew based on age.
- Applicants can replace their current life insurance policy with their Ethos life insurance policy.
- People older than 75 years old aren’t eligible for coverage.
- Ethos doesn’t provide any kind of permanent life insurance, so it’s not ideal for people who want to take advantage of savings and investment options.
- New York residents must find life insurance elsewhere; Ethos doesn’t do business in the state.
As you can see, we like more things than we don’t!
Ethos Life Term Life Insurance Eligibility
Applicants aged 18 to 75 years old are eligible for life insurance through Ethos. When underwriting and pricing each individual policy, Ethos takes into consideration the customer’s age, gender, current health status, and medical history.
While it’s definitely possible for Ethos to deny coverage based on health issues, the company notes that it has many customers with a history of health problems.
How to Get Life Insurance Quotes With Ethos Life
Ethos life insurance estimated quote and policy application processes are entirely online. Most people are immediately approved, and unless you want a policy of $1 million or more, it’s unlikely you’ll need to undergo a medical exam.
First, get your estimated quote. Ethos asks five super basic questions:
- What’s your gender?
- Do you currently use nicotine products?
- How is your health?
- What is your home zip code?
- What is your birthdate?
Many applicants will be able to get a quote and purchase their life insurance policy all online — and without a medical exam.
The whole thing takes about five seconds. Once you submit your information, Ethos will provide you with a few policy options including coverage amount, term length, and monthly premium. For example, Ethos would provide a 38-year-old nonsmoking female in excellent health with options like:
- $400,000 for 20 years at $29/month.
- $753,000 for 20 years at $49/month.
- $1,000,000 for 20 years at $63/month.
You’ll also get the option to choose your own coverage amount and term length and see how the quotes change.
Apply for an Ethos Life Insurance Policy
After you’ve played around with the quotes, you’re prompted to apply for a policy and get your personal quote. The process is understandably more detailed but still shouldn’t take much more than 10 minutes. After you give your name and beneficiary and create an account, be prepared to provide:
- Birthdate, gender, height, weight, and citizenship status.
- Address and phone number.
- Driver’s license number and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Employment information and income.
- Details about tobacco or nicotine product use, lifestyle, travel plans, medical conditions, and other health information.
- Whether you have any other coverage and details about that coverage.
- The purpose of the insurance (e.g. family, business, etc.) and what you plan to do with it.
Note that during the application process, you’ll be prompted to provide your credit card. This might be annoying and feel scammy, but it’s actually to show Ethos you’re serious about the quote and provide them with a payment option so that your policy can immediately take effect if you decide to buy it.
Many applicants receive instant approval. You’ll talk with an agent and agree with the policy, and then your card is charged. You’re immediately covered.
Others might need to wait an extra 7-10 business days for the underwriting process.
Few applicants will need to have a medical exam, and others might be denied based on their health.
Ethos Life Insurance Riders
Additionally, Ethos offers some traditional term life insurance riders that not all online providers offer:
- Critical Illness Rider: Collect a portion of the death benefit if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Child Term Rider: Add a child younger than 18 years old to your life insurance policy.
- Waiver of Premium: Maintain your coverage without paying premiums if you become totally disabled by a certain age.
- Endowment Benefit Rider: Get a return on all premiums paid if you outlive the policy term.
Note that some riders will increase your monthly premium.
Ethos Ratings & Consumer Complaints
Ethos Technologies has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau; however, the company hasn’t been around long and doesn’t have any complaints or reviews.
So, let’s take a look at Assurity Life Insurance Company, which has been around for a century and underwrites Ethos policies:
- Has an A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating of A- (Excellent).
- Has a below-average number of complaints for a company of its size according to recent data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Currently, there is no J.D. Power U.S. Life Insurance Study customer satisfaction survey for Assurity.
The Bottom Line
As far as life insurance companies go, Ethos is a solid choice for most people. Who wouldn’t want immediately approval for coverage without a medical exam? However, there are some who will need medical exams or be denied altogether, and if you live in New York don’t apply.