Haven Life is a relatively new life insurance company that offers competitively priced term life insurance policies to applicants between the ages of 18 and 64 years old. People can apply and get quotes online, and most applicants are immediately approved without a medical exam.
Let’s get to know Haven Life a little better:
- The company has only been around since 2013, but it’s wholly backed and owned by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), which is incredibly financially solid.
- Haven Life provides term life insurance policies; the company doesn’t deal with whole life insurance or other types of permanent coverage.
- The application process is entirely online.
- Haven Life term life insurance policies come in terms of 10, 15, 20, and 30 years.
- Applicants aged 18-59 can apply for up to $3M; applicants aged 60-64 can apply for up to $1M.
Haven Life probably sounds pretty good to you already, but let’s dive into the heart of it.
- The application process is around 25 minutes and entirely online.
- People 59 years old and younger can apply for up to $3M; people between the ages of 60 and 64 and eligible non-citizens can apply for up to $1M.
- Most applicants who meet health requirements and an age cutoff won’t need a medical exam.
- Many applicants who need health exams can get temporary coverage for the gap between their application and medical exam.
- Monthly premiums stay the same for the term duration; after that, applicants can renew on an annual basis.
- Policyholders in most states are eligible for Haven Life Plus at no extra cost.
- People looking for whole life insurance and the savings and investment tools that come with it won’t find it with Haven Life.
- Applicants 60 years old and older are maxed out at $1M, when eligible.
- Applicants older than 64 aren’t eligible for coverage.
Haven Life Term Life Insurance Eligibility
To be eligible for a Haven Life term life insurance policy, you must:
- Live in the United States.
- Be between 18 and 64 years old.
- NOT BE:
- Active military or enlisting.
- Planning to use the policy for business reasons.
- Planning to use the policy to replace another policy.
How to Get Life Insurance Quotes With Haven Life
Many applicants will be able to get a quote and purchase their life insurance policy all online — and without a medical exam.
First, get your estimated quote using Haven Life’s Term Life Insurance Needs Calculator. Haven Life asks you for some basic personal information such as your birthdate, gender, and health status. You can also choose your desired coverage amount and term (for example: between $100K-$3M for 10, 15, 20, or 30 years).
As you complete the quick questionnaire, you can look at real prices other policyholders are paying. For example, a 32-year-old male nonsmoker in excellent health pays $35.23 a month for $1 million in coverage. A 40-year-old female nonsmoker in excellent health pays $18.01 a month for $250,000 in coverage. Haven Life also provides a quick calculation option if you’re not sure how much coverage to choose.
Once you submit your information, Haven Life will recommend a coverage amount and term length, and provide you with an estimated quote. You can then move on to get your Real Rate.
Getting to Your Haven “Real Rate”
Getting your Real Rate is more involved, but still only takes around 25 minutes. You’ll need to provide the same kinds of details as before, but also information about your:
- Identity: Full address, phone number, driver’s license number (or a passport or state-issued identification card number), Social Security number, etc.
- Health: Any history with drugs or alcohol, hospitalizations, medical condition diagnoses, etc.
- Lifestyle: High-risk hobbies or occupations such as rock climbing, parachuting, piloting, boxing, scuba diving, bungee jumping, etc.
Many applicants won’t need to do anything else; they’ll get their Real Rate quote and can buy their term life insurance policy. Others might be required to undergo medical exams, depending on their age and health information. Some applicants can get temporary coverage and complete a medical exam in 90 days; others aren’t eligible for temporary coverage and must have their medical exam in 30 days.
Even though the bulk, if not all, of the process takes place online, Haven Life does point out that the company does select applicants at random to verify they’ve provided correct information. Additionally, information gathered from third-party sources (i.e. not the applicant) during the underwriting process can affect the final quote.
Additional Haven Life Products
Haven Life Plus is a policy rider available to all policyholders except those who live in Florida, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Washington.
Haven Life provides Haven Life Plus at no additional cost; with it, you get access to:
- MinuteClinic: 15% discount for family health services at MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy and Target).
- Aaptiv: Fitness app with thousands of free workouts. (Normally $99/year.)
- Trust & Will: Digitally create legal wills. (Normally $129.)
- LifeSite: Online safe deposit box for storing important documents. (Normally $80/year.)
- Timeshifter: Unlimited personalized travel plans to prevent jet lag. (Normally $24.99/year.)
Haven Life Ratings & Consumer Complaints
Haven Life has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Let’s take a look at MassMutual, Haven Life’s parent company (and the one making sure those claims are paid);
- Has an A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating of A++ (Superior).
- As of 2017, had fewer complaints to state regulators than other companies of its size according to recent data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- During a 2018 J.D. Power U.S. Life Insurance Study for customer satisfaction:
- Scored “About Average” for policy offerings, price, interaction, and overall satisfaction.
- Score “Better Than Average” for billing and payments.
Sounds pretty good to us!
The Bottom Line
Overall, Haven Life is a solid choice for applicants aged 18-59 who want term life insurance at competitive rates — and who’d like to take advantage of an entirely online application process. Applicants aged 60-64 potentially can still quality coverage, but the rates will be higher and their coverage is capped at $1M.
Unfortunately, Haven Life is not the company for applicants older than 64 years old.