If you’re looking to compare pet insurance companies, one of the options you may not have heard of is 24petwatch. The company typically doesn’t pop up on lists of the 10 most well-known pet insurers. However, 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company is still one to consider against your other options. So below we’ll look at the company’s background, pros and cons, what care it covers and how prices compare to other companies.
- About 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company
- Pros and Cons
- Ratings on 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company
- How Much does 24petwatch Pet Insurance Cost?
- How 24petwatch Quotes Compare with Those of Other Pet Insurance Companies
- How Easy to Get a Quote From 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company
About 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company:
The company about page is somewhat sparse. It tells us that 24petwatch has been a subsidiary of Pethealth Inc. since 2003. The pet insurance plans are underwritten by The North River Insurance Company. Its insurance plans are offered by PTZ Insurance Agency, Ltd.
- All plans are fairly comprehensive, covering things other pet insurance plan may not, such as medications and alternative treatments.
- It’s easy to customize your annual limits and deductible amounts between the different plans.
- 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company also offers pet protection services, involving microchipping and reporting lost pets.
- It does not cover dental care, except for cleanings under the wellness care advanced optional add-on.
- It only has a $20,000 per term reimbursement. For reference, per term is annually.
- On average, it tends to be more expensive than the other two companies we compared, though prices fluctuate by state.
- Somewhat of a disconcerting $2.50 per month “Pay Plan Fee.” It’s reminiscent of extra and vague fees airlines or cell phone carriers add.
Ratings on 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company:
The company is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has no rating or reviews with them.
Consumers Advocate gives the company a 2.2/5 (Average) rating for its “solid coverage.” However, the less expensive plans have annual limits that are too low and at the higher range the premiums get quite high in relation to other companies.
It’s also not accredited with Consumer Affairs and currently carries around a one-and-a-half-star rating. Complaints tend to revolve around billing snafus. 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company has a similar rating at Yelp, with complaints about slow and difficult claims processes.
>>MORE: What does Pet Insurance Cover?
How Much does 24petwatch Pet Insurance Cost?
We gathered 12 quotes from 24petwatch Pet Insurance. We compared quotes of three states: Texas, Florida, and California. We also compared two breeds, Labrador Retrievers for small/medium dogs and German Shepherds for big dogs. Plus, we looked at the difference between a 1-year-old and a 5-year-old dog.
All quotes have $20,000 annual benefits and $250 annual deductible.
|Small/Medium dogs||Big dogs|
The prices of 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company don’t change between the two breeds of the same age in California and Texas. In Florida, the big dog is about $5 more expensive per month than the small/medium dog. For monthly premiums, Florida is the least expensive and California is the most expensive. All locations increase significantly in price as the dog ages from a 1-year-old to a 5-year-old, which as you can see from the other companies, is common for pet insurance.
How 24petwatch Quotes Compare with Those of Other Pet Insurance Companies
In order to see how prices stand in relation to other companies, we compared 24petwatch against Embrace Pet Insurance, Figo Pet Insurance, and Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation. We compared three locations: Texas, Florida, and California for all companies. We also compared two breeds, Labrador Retrievers and German Shepherds. Plus, we looked at the difference between a 1-year-old and a 5-year-old dog.
|Small/Medium dogs||Big dogs|
At the $250 deductible level, price comparisons from 24petwatch vary by state. In California, 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company tends to be more expensive than both Embrace and Healthy Paws Pet Insurance; however, its prices are similar to those of Figo Pet Insurance.
In Texas, it tends to be less expensive than Embrace, but more expensive than Healthy Paws, and similar to Fido.
In Florida, 24petwatch is more expensive than both Embrace and Healthy Paws, but it is cheaper than Figo Pet Insurance.
Also, one point to consider is that 24petwatch has a $20,000 limit per term, which is the lowest of the three companies compared here. Embrace has a $30,000 annual limit and Healthy Paws is unlimited. To keep quotes even, we set all limits at the highest amount available.
Overall, 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company tends to be more expensive than other pet insurers for less annual benefit amounts.
>>MORE: Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
How Easy to Get a Quote From 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company:
Getting a pet insurance quote online from 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company is a fairly easy process. If you want to compare multiple quotes, you hit the back button and it takes you back to the first page. But it also saves all the information you just put in, making the comparison process much easier.
The home page of 24petwatch has a few ways to get to the quote process. Immediately, you see both a “get started” red button at the top right of the page, and the middle of the page has a “get a quote” red button. Once you hit one of those, you see this screen:
As you can see, 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company offers both pet protection and pet insurance. To view pet insurance, you hit the red “get my quote” button. Then you see this screen:
After entering the simple information fields, a more detailed screen pops up:
The breed select menu is a little hard to navigate, as it lists some of the breeds in a strange manner. For instance, selecting the menu and starting to type “lab” gets you to “labradoodle.” A Labrador Retriever is listed as “Retriever, Labrador.” This can be confusing at first.
You also need to know or guess your dog’s birth month and year, as well as enter any pre-existing conditions you may know of. But the 5 percent discount if your pet is chipped is a good added benefit.
Once you enter all that information, you get this page:
You can select between the extra, classic, super and champion plans. The information in the “what’s covered?” section stays the same across all plans. Each page does a good job of outlining what is covered. However, the per term amount changes: it goes $3,000 for the extra plan, $5,000 for the classic plan, $10,000 for the super plan and $20,000 for the champion plan.
If you hit “customize your plan options,” a dropdown screen allows you to choose your deductible, as you can see below:
If you scroll down you can also add optional wellness care, either the advanced plan for an additional $25 per month or the routine coverage for an extra $10 per month. There’s a well-organized menu that outlines the difference between each plan when you select “View Optional Wellness Coverage Details:”
As you can see, the advanced plan is the one to select if you are concerned about having dental cleanings covered. However, if you view the sample plan, 24petwatch does not cover other dental treatments.
As an added note, 24petwatch is unique in that it doesn’t have a waiting period for accidents. However, illnesses have a 14-day waiting period for the extra, classic, super and champion plans.
The Bottom Line:
- 24petwatch has been a subsidiary of Pethealth Inc. since at least 2003. Beyond that, it’s difficult to find out their full history, and the company is not accredited with the BBB or ConsumerAffairs.
- 24petwatch Pet Insurance Company tends to be more expensive than other pet insurers for less annual benefit amounts.
- However, the plans do cover items like lab tests, x-rays, alternative treatments, both accidents and illnesses, exam fees and medications, which can be difficult to find in some other pet insurance plans. However, dental care is not covered, except for cleanings under the advanced wellness coverage plan.
- The quote process requires more information than most, but still does a good job of outlining benefits. It also allows you to select different options and update your monthly price in real-time.