Choosing a pet health insurance plan isn’t always easy. Chances are you know you want financial support if your pet becomes ill or injured, but you’re not sure if it should be in the form of a formal policy or a savings account. For these and other reasons, it’s best to research some of the top pet health insurance companies. ASPCA Pet Insurance offers multiple plan options and adjustable premiums, deductibles, and reimbursement percentages. Let’s see how the coverage lines up with your needs.
- About ASPCA Pet Insurance
- Pros and Cons
- ASPCA Pet Insurance Ratings
- How Much Does ASPCA Pet Insurance Cost?
- How ASPCA Pet Insurance Quotes Compare with Other Similar Companies?
- How Easy to Get a Quote from ASPCA Pet Insurance
- Coverage Options
About ASPCA Pet Insurance
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) was the first humane society formed in North America. Since 1866, the non-profit organization has worked to prevent animal cruelty.
Much later in 1997, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance was founded; it’s partnered with Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group and underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company.
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance features customizable premiums and deductibles, reimbursement of up to 90%, and annual max payouts of up to $10,000.
>>MORE: Finding the Best Pet Dental Insurance
- Adjustable annual deductible, annual maximum, and reimbursement percentage.
- Bring your pet to any licensed veterinarian or pet care specialist or emergency care facility.
- Coverage isn’t cancelled due to the pet’s age.
- Doesn’t automatically offer preventative care; however, it is available as add-on coverage for extra.
- While some reputable consumer review companies give ASPCA Pet Insurance high ratings, there are some extremely unfavorable customer reviews out there, too.
- Premiums increase as the pet ages.
>>MORE: Pet Insurance that Covers Preventative Care
ASPCA Pet Insurance Ratings
ASPCA Pet Insurance (Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group) has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2015. It currently holds an A+ rating with the BBB, but an average customer rating of 1 star. However, that’s based on only 4 reviews.
Currently, ASPCA Pet Insurance has about a 2-star rating with Yelp out of more than 150 customer reviews. Complaints revolve around:
- Unexpectedly denied claims
- Not being eligible for continuing care for serious conditions.
- Determining the treatment costs aren’t customary and thus not being reimbursed the full percentage.
On the upside, Consumers Advocate gave ASPCA Pet Insurance an overall 3.5 out of 5 stars (“Very Good”), and ASPCA Pet Insurance is accredited with ConsumerAffairs and nearly 500 customer reviews give it an almost 5-star review.
>>MORE: Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
How Much Does ASPCA Pet Insurance Cost?
We obtained 12 pet insurance quotes from ASPCA based on the following dog profiles:
- Dog breed and size. (Labrador Retrievers representing small/medium dogs and German Shepherds representing large dogs.)
- Dog age. (Either one or five years old.)
- Location. (California, Texas, and Florida.)
ASPCA Pet Insurance provides quotes based on the deductible, annual max, and reimbursement percentage. We chose the $250 deductible, $5,000 annual max, and 80% reimbursement — a “middle-of-the-road” kind of policy as far as price goes — and ASPCA provided us with the following monthly premium quotes for the Complete Coverage Plan*:
- California/Small or Medium/1 year old: $43
- California/Small or Medium/5 years old: $52
- California/Large/1 year old: $39
- California/Large/5 years old: $48
- Texas/Small or Medium/1 year old: $47
- Texas/Small or Medium/5 years old: $57
- Texas/Large/1 year old: $43
- Texas/Large/5 years old: $52
- Florida/Small or Medium/1 year old: $36
- Florida/Small or Medium/5 years old: $43
- Florida/Large/1 year old: $33
- Florida/Large/5 years old: $40
California didn’t show us the highest pet insurance quotes during this sample; Texas did. Staying on theme though, small breeds and younger dogs had lower quotes than larger breeds and older dogs.
* Owners can choose the Accident-Only Coverage Plan, which provides coverage for new injuries and emergencies only. This plan is significantly cheaper and a good option for folks on a budget who want to ensure they have help if their pet becomes unexpectedly injured.
>>MORE: How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
How ASPCA Pet Insurance Quotes Compare with Other Similar Companies?
We obtained quotes from Trupanion and Petplan Pet Insurance using the same dog profiles as we used for ASPCA. Below are how the companies stack up against one another when considering their “most popular” plans.
|PetPlan Pet Insurance||Trupanion Pet Insurance||ASPCA Pet Health Insurance|
|California||Small/Medium Dog||1 year old||$63||$94||$43|
|5 years old||$117||$136||$52|
|Large Dog||1 year old||$76||$95||$39|
|5 years old||$143||$138||$48|
|Texas||Small/Medium Dog||1 year old||$30||$66.9||$47|
|5 years old||$54||$91||$57|
|Large Dog||1 year old||$35||$65||$43|
|5 years old||$63||$88||$52|
|Florida||Small/Medium Dog||1 year old||$38||$73||$36|
|5 years old||$73||$95||$43|
|Large Dog||1 year old||$48||$74||$33|
|5 years old||$92||$74||$40|
ASPCA pet insurance premiums tend to be lower than both Petplan Pet Insurance premiums and Trupanion premiums in most categories. Policyholders can go even lower if they opt for the Accident-Only Coverage Plan.
>>MORE: The Best Pet Insurance That Covers Pre-Existing Conditions
How Easy to Get a Quote from ASPCA Pet Insurance
Getting an ASPCA Pet Insurance quote is a quick, simple process. First, provide the system with your pet’s species, name, and your zip code.
Then, enter your pet’s breed, age, and gender and your email address.
After that, the ASPCA will give you a quote for the Complete Coverage Plan, the organization’s more comprehensive pet insurance plan that goes beyond just accidents; it also offers coverage for illnesses, hereditary and congenital illnesses,and behavior issues.
You can adjust the annual limit, reimbursement percentage, and annual deductible to customize your monthly premium.
At the same time, you’ll get quotes for the ASPCA’s Accident-Only Coverage Plan.
As the name suggests, this plan offers coverage only for new accidents and injuries. It’s more affordable, and ideal for pet owners who might not have the budget for more comprehensive coverage but still want to protect themselves and their pets in case the unexpected happens.
>>MORE: Is There Pet Insurance With No Waiting Period?
ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plan: Complete Coverage Plan and Accident-Only Plan. They have different coverages as follows:
|Coverage||Accident-Only Plan||Complete Coverage Plan|
|Hereditary & Congenital Conditions||𝗫||✔|
>>MORE: Pet Insurance That Covers Preventative Care
The Bottom Line
- ASPCA Pet Insurance provides multiple insurance plan choices, offers add-on coverage options like preventative care, and allows you to customize your monthly premium, annual deductibles, annual maximum payout, and reimbursement percentage.
- As a pet ages, the company will increase premiums but won’t cancel coverage.
- Spend some time considering the company’s reviews. While it has high ratings from Consumers Advocate and ConsumerAffairs, customer reviews on Yelp aren’t favorable.