It’s no secret that it’s expensive to live in New York City. So when an unexpected vet bill pops up, that can put quite a strain on your budget. One way to even out those potential costs is to look into getting pet insurance. That way, you can pay a monthly premium for covered care versus having to dole out hundreds or thousands of dollars in the case of an emergency. So below we’ll look at the average cost of pet insurance in New York City, common pet illnesses for your area, types of pet insurance and exotic pet insurance in New York.
Average Pet Insurance Cost in New York City for Dogs and Cats:
Below we took five of the highest populated zip codes in New York City. We compared a 1-year-old Yorkshire Terrier and a 1-year-old Domestic Long Hair cat. According to Banfield Pet Hospital, these are the most common breeds in the state of New York.
We compared prices from Embrace Pet Insurance, one of the most well-known pet insurers in the U.S. that operates under one plan. We went with a $500 deductible, an 80 percent reimbursement and a $15,000 annual limit.
|Zip Code||Dog Monthly Cost||Cat Monthly Cost|
This is probably one of the most repetitive charts you’ll ever look at. However, it does show that prices for pet insurance in New York City tend to stay the same across the city, at least for Embrace specifically. This varies from comparing pet insurance prices across a whole state, in which case prices can change drastically. Within the same city, odds are your prices are fairly stable.
Common Illnesses Among Dogs and Cats in New York City:
According to Banfield Pet Hospital, the most common illnesses for cats and dogs in the state of New York are:
- Overweight and obesity
- Otitis externa (outer ear infection)
- Dental disease
As such, you will want to focus on a plan that could cover these types of illnesses. You might look for a plan with wellness care that offers preventative measures like teeth cleaning to avoid dental disease. You might look for a plan that offers illness care for the ear infections, rather than an accident-only plan. Also, you might look for a plan that covers wellness routine exams to check for potential weight issues.
Types of Pet Insurance in New York City:
When it comes to pet insurance in New York City, you have three main options:
- Comprehensive: Base plans that often cover illness, accident and injury.
- Wellness: This coverage usually works as an add-on to base plans. It might cover preventative, routine and wellness care directly. However, some operate as money-back reimbursement plans up to a specific amount.
- Accident-only: These plans allow you to get less expensive coverage for when your pet gets into an accident, as the name suggests.
Between these options, you can customize how much you pay each month based on the amount of coverage you want and your monthly budget. For instance, accident-only plans are a solid way to save money on premiums, as they often cost as little as half as comprehensive programs monthly.
However, no pet insurance in New York City covers pre-existing conditions. But some may if the condition is deemed curable over a set period of time. You can learn more about pre-existing conditions here.
Overall Cheapest Pet Insurance in New York City:
Below we looked at the top 12 companies that operate in the pet insurance market in the U.S. For pet insurance in New York City, we looked at the 10025 zip code. Like above, we compared a 1-year-old Yorkshire Terrier and a 1-year-old Domestic Long Hair cat. To keep prices even between companies, we compared the highest annual deductible we could set online and kept to as close of a $250 deductible and 80 percent reimbursement as each company would allow.
|Company||Dog Monthly Premiums||Cat Monthly Premiums|
Based on the parameters we put in, the cheapest pet insurance in New York City is Healthy Paws for both cats and dogs. Nationwide is the most expensive for dogs and Embrace is the most expensive for cats.
However, it’s important to keep in mind the benefits you are getting in exchange for your monthly premiums. For instance, while Nationwide is the most expensive pet insurance in New York City for dogs, it also offers coverage for many wellness procedures under the main plan that other pet insurance companies may not.
New York City Pet Insurance for Exotic Pets:
If you’re looking for pet insurance for exotic pets like birds, reptiles or rodents, your current option is Nationwide Pet Insurance. Nationwide is the only company that currently offers pet insurance for exotics in the U.S. However, the plans are fairly comprehensive, covering care like exams and prescriptions.
However, in order to get a quote, you have to call the number at 888-899-4874. Nationwide does not do exotic pet insurance quotes online. Learn more about exotic pet insurance here.
- The average cost for pet insurance in New York City stays the same across some of the most populated zip codes in the city. That means you don’t have to worry about comparison shopping as much as if you were comparing different cities.
- Both dogs and cats commonly have outer ear infections, weight problems and dental disease in the state of New York. So it’s important to find pet insurance in New York City that can cover these issues.
- Your three main types of pet insurance are comprehensive, wellness and accident-only, which you can adjust to fit your monthly budget.
- The overall cheapest pet insurance in New York City is Healthy Paws.
- If you want exotic pet insurance, your current option is Nationwide Pet Insurance.