Trupanion strives to keep pet health insurance convenient with one policy that offers comprehensive coverage, an unlimited annual maximum payout, and a 90% reimbursement percentage. However, the company has some mixed reviews worth giving a second (or third) look before making a choice.
- About Trupanion Pet Insurance
- Pros and Cons
- Trupanion Pet Insurance Ratings
- How Much Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cost?
- How Trupanion Pet Insurance Quotes Compare with Other Similar Companies?
- How Easy Is Getting a Quote from Trupanion Pet Insurance?
- Coverage Options
About Trupanion Pet Insurance
Trupanion was founded in Canada in 1999, but expanded into the United States and Puerto Rico in 2005. The company’s pet health insurance policies are underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company (APIC), who also underwrites for the American Kennel Club (AKC), and is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association and the first pet health insurance company to be awarded the American Animal Hospital Association’s Seal of Acceptance in 2008.
Trupanion boasts to have “reimagined traditional pet insurance” by providing pet owners with one comprehensive yet simple policy, a high reimbursement percentage, and no payout limits — not things many other pet health insurance companies offer. Additionally, Trupanion offers vet direct pay, which means the policyholder handles only their portion of the costs while the company bills the vet directly.
- Option to adjust your monthly premium by increasing or decreasing your annual deductible.
- All plans have an unlimited annual payout and 90% reimbursement percentage.
- You can add coverage for recovery and complementary care as well as pet owner assistance (see below).
- One of the most expensive pet insurance companies around.
- Doesn’t cover preventative, wellness, or routine care.
- Don’t cover exam fees even if they’re unrelated to routine care.
Trupanion Pet Insurance Ratings
Trupanion has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2008. It currently holds a B+ rating with the BBB with an average customer rating of a little over 3.5 stars based on more than 100 customer reviews. The BBB also highlights a 2019 government action involving Trupanion, the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner, and improper licenses and affiliations.
Currently, Trupanion has about a 2.5-star rating with Yelp out of more than 600 customer reviews. While some reviews praised Trupanion for favorable appeal outcomes, complaints revolve around:
- Denying claims more often than not, especially for older pets.
- Unexpected and drastic premium increases.
- Annual increase of premiums regardless of claim activity.
However, Consumers Advocate gave Trupanion an overall 4.8 out of 5 stars (“Excellent”), praising all ratings categories (coverage, benefit limits, deductibles, reimbursement, claims and service, pricing, and enrollment). The company isn’t accredited with ConsumerAffairs, but does have a nearly 3-star rating based on more than 150 customer reviews.
How Much Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cost?
We obtained 12 pet insurance quotes from Trupanion based on the following dog profiles:
- Dog breed and size. (Labrador Retrievers representing small/medium dogs and German Shepherds representing large dogs.)
- Dog age. (Either one or five years old.)
- Location. (California, Texas, and Florida.)
Trupanion automatically provides you with three quotes based on the following annual deductibles: $0, $200, and $700. You can also choose your own deductible. We chose to get quotes for a $300 deductible and Trupanion provided us with the following monthly premiums:
- California/Small or Medium/1 year old: $94
- California/Small or Medium/5 years old: $136
- California/Large/1 year old: $95
- California/Large/5 years old: $138
- Texas/Small or Medium/1 year old: $67
- Texas/Small or Medium/5 years old: $91
- Texas/Large/1 year old: $65
- Texas/Large/5 years old: $88
- Florida/Small or Medium/1 year old: $73
- Florida/Small or Medium/5 years old: $95
- Florida/Large/1 year old: $74
- Florida/Large/5 years old: $74
All Trupanion policies provide 90% reimbursement and no annual max payout.
As usual, California had the highest pet insurance premium quotes and small and medium breeds across each state had lower premiums than larger breeds.
How Trupanion Pet Insurance Quotes Compare with Other Similar Companies
We obtained quotes from Petplan Pet Insurance and ASPCA using the same dog profiles as we used for Trupanion. Below are how the companies stack up against one another when considering their “most popular” plans.
|PetPlan Pet Insurance||Trupanion Pet Insurance||ASPCA Pet Health Insurance|
|California||Small/Medium Dog||1 year old||$63||$94||$43|
|5 years old||$117||$136||$52|
|Large Dog||1 year old||$76||$95||$39|
|5 years old||$143||$138||$48|
|Texas||Small/Medium Dog||1 year old||$30||$66.9||$47|
|5 years old||$54||$91||$57|
|Large Dog||1 year old||$35||$65||$43|
|5 years old||$63||$88||$52|
|Florida||Small/Medium Dog||1 year old||$38||$73||$36|
|5 years old||$73||$95||$43|
|Large Dog||1 year old||$48||$74||$33|
|5 years old||$92||$74||$40|
There’s no doubt Trupanion is one of the most expensive pet health insurance companies out there, and it doesn’t offer much wiggle room for lowering premiums (as with ASPCA’s Accident-Only Coverage Plan or Petplan’s Most Affordable Plan). However, Trupanion does offer one of the most comprehensive coverage plans available and doesn’t impose an annual max payout.
How Easy Is Getting a Quote from Trupanion Pet Insurance?
It’s easy. Just enter your pet’s name, gender, species, breed, and age and indicate whether your pet has been spayed or neutered and if your pet is an assistance animal or therapy pet.
After that, you’ll get three pet insurance quotes based on three deductibles.
You can adjust the deductible to decrease or increase your monthly premium.
Trupanion pet health insurance policies cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses including, but not limited to:
- Hereditary Conditions: Elbow and hip dysplasia, diabetes, thyroid disease, and more.
- Congenital Conditions: Heart disease, liver disease, nervous system issues, and more.
- Unidentified Issues: Vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, and more.
Trupanion covers a variety of medical procedures related to these problems, including:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Medications and herbal therapies.
- Hospital stays.
- Vet supplements.
Additionally, you can purchase recovery and complementary care and pet owner assistance to further customize your policy, which will give you coverage for behavior modification, physical therapy, boarding fees, and more.
The Bottom Line
- Trupanion provides comprehensive pet health insurance plans with adjustable premiums and deductibles, an unlimited annual payout, and a 90% reimbursement percentage. The company also offers vet direct pay.
- For all its accolades, Trupanion has mixed reviews. There are many customer complaints, as well as some legal action against the company, but it does have higher ratings in certain areas. Anyone considering buying pet health insurance from Trupanion should take some time to study the reviews and weigh all the pros and cons.